Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

'Natural Summer Solutions, Tips & Fun' - Homemade Bug Spray

Posted by   + Show Post

Today's activity is homemade bug spray.

With summer comes bugs, especially mosquitoes. Help to prevent bug bites with a homemade bug spray or lotion.

Ingredients

2 Tablespoons of a carrier oil (I used coconut oil but Jojoba or Sweet Almond Oils are good options)

5 drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil

15 drops of Lavender Oil

Mix oils together. Put into a small spray bottle or if you used coconut oil a small mason jar will work.

Is this a recipe you would try? Do you have a different bug spray recipe that you use? 

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Replies (41-50):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Eucalyptus oil is high in keytones which are toxic. The more common ones are safe after two, but IMO euc oil is way overused, it really should be saved for respiratory infections. Euc oil has killed with misuse. It's the only eo with documented cases of fatality.
Better and safer repellents are citronella, lemongrass, and lavender oils. I make a spray with them and it works fantastic

Quoting FelipesMom:

hey jelly, tell us more! Why isn't it safe? Not safe on skin, near eyes, if ingested, all of the above? I take your advice to heart! You are one knowledgeable mama!

Quoting jellyphish:

Darn. I thought this was going to be a spray for bugs not just a repellent.
Yes I make my own repellent, but not with euc oil because

**eucalyptus oil is not safe for children**

But my sis just told me that sirracha kills scorpions. So I'm excited to try that out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FelipesMom
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Thank you! :o) Want to share your specific recipe (how much of each oil)?

Quoting jellyphish:

Eucalyptus oil is high in keytones which are toxic. The more common ones are safe after two, but IMO euc oil is way overused, it really should be saved for respiratory infections. Euc oil has killed with misuse. It's the only eo with documented cases of fatality.
Better and safer repellents are citronella, lemongrass, and lavender oils. I make a spray with them and it works fantastic

Quoting FelipesMom:

hey jelly, tell us more! Why isn't it safe? Not safe on skin, near eyes, if ingested, all of the above? I take your advice to heart! You are one knowledgeable mama!

Quoting jellyphish:

But my sis just told me that sirracha kills scorpions. So I'm excited to try that out.

LETICIA  (kind of rhymes with Patricia)
Mom to Felipe, born 11-24-2006

Group Owner - Unconditional Parenting, Earthy Tribal Mamas
Admin - Loving Alternatives to Mainstream Parenting

aneela
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:20 PM

oh yes yes i would

mommieof1b4g
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:21 PM

we will have to try this

hapababies
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:31 PM
It isn't a very kid friendly eo, and it can cause issues if too much is used. Check out what jellyphish said above ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quoting jconney80:

What is wrong with it? Genuine question

Quoting hapababies:

I won't try this recipie because eucalyptus oil scares the crap out of me. Until I learn how to use it safely, I'm not using it at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for sharing this information with us.. :o) 

Quoting jellyphish: Eucalyptus oil is high in keytones which are toxic. The more common ones are safe after two, but IMO euc oil is way overused, it really should be saved for respiratory infections. Euc oil has killed with misuse. It's the only eo with documented cases of fatality. Better and safer repellents are citronella, lemongrass, and lavender oils. I make a spray with them and it works fantastic.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Sure!! Right now I use equal parts lavender and citronella oil, maybe 15 drops each, in a two oz glass spray bottle, fill with water and shake before use. If I had to worry about ticks or fleas, I'd do ten drops each lavender, citronella, lemongrass.

(Ill also be adding lemongrass oil to the girls' shampoo when school starts to avoid lice)

Quoting FelipesMom:

Thank you! :o) Want to share your specific recipe (how much of each oil)?

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting FelipesMom:

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrownEyedGirl86
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:53 AM
Definitely going to try this!!!!!
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Someday maybe
smileydawn
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:41 AM
This is great!!! Thanks for sharing. I get eaten alive by bugs in the summer. If it bites or stings they love me. I would imagine this smells a billion times better than the bug spray I buy at the store.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)