Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doctor or IBCLC Midwife? (PIOG)

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM
  • 18 Replies

Im going out of town Friday. Ive been dealing with what I think is a milk blister.. Well Im afraid to go out of town with this going on without seeing someone. Id hate for it to get worse while gone..

But now I dont know which is better... A General Doctor or a IBCLC Midwife?.....

Im afraid if I go to the Midwife she may refer me to a dr for some reason (can they give out prescriptions?)... But Im also afraid to go to a Dr because in general they seem clueless about breastfeeding & issues around breastfeeding..

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM
I would treat a milk blister at home.

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/
MommaTasha1003
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I have been trying... Ive had it for over 2wks and it feels like Im getting another one right beside it. Ive been doing the saline solution, raking it with my fingernail, scrubbing it lightly with a rag during baths...

It use to just hurt a lil while nursing, now I slightly feel a constant pain in my nipple...

It seems to be deeper in the nipple instead of protruding out as well..

Quoting MaryJarrett:

I would treat a milk blister at home.

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Have you tried pumping it out? How often do you do a heated moist massage? The last time I had a blister I had to scrub the top off with a wash cloth and massage in the shower for close to an hour to get all the clog out of the duct behind it. The longer it's been there, the longer it will take.
Are you taking lechin to help break up the clog that's likely behind it.
MommaTasha1003
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I tried pumping today. OUCH! (I hate the pump & have not used one in about 10months). I do a heat moist massage a few times a day, but I really soak at night during my bath.. My problem is whatever is going on is not on top. Its deeper into my nipple it seems. I dont know.. my milk duct just seems swollen.

No, i dont even know what lechin is.

Would my midwife be able to help? Or a Dr. ? Obviously I am not doing something right. I hate messing with my boobs while nursing, its like having an intact boy - its best to just leave it alone lol..

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Have you tried pumping it out? How often do you do a heated moist massage? The last time I had a blister I had to scrub the top off with a wash cloth and massage in the shower for close to an hour to get all the clog out of the duct behind it. The longer it's been there, the longer it will take.
Are you taking lechin to help break up the clog that's likely behind it.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you're referring to LECITHIN, a supplement that emulsifies, making the milk easier to flow...

I take it daily while nursing...LOVE IT!

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Yes! I hate my phone sometimes! ;)  

Quoting GoodyBrook:

I think you're referring to LECITHIN, a supplement that emulsifies, making the milk easier to flow...

I take it daily while nursing...LOVE IT!

I'm Mary married(since 10-5-08) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008), Caidence(2010), Baby3 (2013). Christian, SAHM, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, Natural birthing, holistic loving, AP, ERF & EH, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I don't know of anything that they can actually *do* for you. They could tell you to do all the things you are already doing. Maybe a MW would be able to tell you how to go about getting lecithin for the clog locally(like gnc, walgreens, or cvs), but other than that, it's just something you have to really work on getting out. She might even be able to hook you up with a hospital grade pump. 

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

I tried pumping today. OUCH! (I hate the pump & have not used one in about 10months). I do a heat moist massage a few times a day, but I really soak at night during my bath.. My problem is whatever is going on is not on top. Its deeper into my nipple it seems. I dont know.. my milk duct just seems swollen.

No, i dont even know what lechin is.

Would my midwife be able to help? Or a Dr. ? Obviously I am not doing something right. I hate messing with my boobs while nursing, its like having an intact boy - its best to just leave it alone lol.. 

I'm Mary married(since 10-5-08) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008), Caidence(2010), Baby3 (2013). Christian, SAHM, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, Natural birthing, holistic loving, AP, ERF & EH, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I dont think a doctor or midwife can help really..

MommaTasha1003
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:05 PM

*grumbles* OK thanks ladies.. I will keep at it & hope it improves during our trip.. Im just afraid of it turning into something else or the pain start to be unbarrable...

We are driving from Texas to Indiana. About a 20hr drive with my 1yo DS who hates to be in his carseat & my 6yo DD... That is going to be stressful enough.. I dont want to be even less patient because Im in pain.

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:22 PM

If the midwife is an LC I'd talk with her. Most midwives (esp homebirth) have *some* lactation training vs. a doctor who generally doesn't have any.

You can always contact your local LLL too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)