Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Raw milk

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:11 PM
  • 13 Replies

I know not everyone drinks cow's mik in the group.

For our family, I think it's a good choice for us. We currently drink conventional pasturized milk though we make sure that it doesn't contain the added hormones.

I am thinking about switching to raw milk for our family. We can get it from our local farmer's market and I think our natural food store-though I'm not 100% sure on that. My concern is my 1 year old drinking it and that comes from years and years of being told pasturized is the best.

Is there anything I need to be concerned about? What should I look for or what should I ask the farmer who sells it?

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I prefer raw milk over pastuerized. I also have bought raw cheese, cream and butter. My only issue is the price!
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Also, i only bought mine from a local farm, not from the store.
funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Quoting Precious333:

I prefer raw milk over pastuerized. I also have bought raw cheese, cream and butter. My only issue is the price!

I've bought raw cheese before and it was good.

And you're right the price is a bit much but it's suppose to be so much better for you than pasteurized.

larissalarie
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM
2 moms liked this
I think raw milk avoids/eliminates pretty much all of my objections to dairy. If you have a good source, it's definitely what I'd go buy.
Make certain that the cows are 100% grass fed. NO GRAINS should be ever eaten by a cow, especially if you're going to drink the milk raw.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Absolutelt it is!

Quoting funhappymom:

Quoting Precious333:

I've bought raw cheese before and it was good.

And you're right the price is a bit much but it's suppose to be so much better for you than pasteurized.

lifeforchrist
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

raw milk is a much safer option and especially for children. If you know where the milk comes from and know the practises are clean. Which is always the case since raw milk gets a lot of flak from government agencies, they can't pay to do things wrong. I wouldnt worry at all about giving it to a one year old. Mine have had it and ive drank it through pregnancies.

tnunley
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM
It's illegal to sell cow milk here... :(
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Quoting tnunley:

It's illegal to sell cow milk here... :(

Mrs.Salz
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I'd want to see the farm, just so I know where it's coming from, and make sure it's from grass fed cows.

Raw dairy is sooooo much better than pasteurized/processed. We aren't eating any right now because of DS2's milk sensitivity but I'd love to start it again.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:04 AM
I've heard it's much better than regular pasteurized milk but have never had it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)