Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

'Natural Summer Solutions, Tips & Fun' - Upcycled Wind Chimes

Posted by   + Show Post

Today's activity is upcycled wind chimes.

The soft, gentle sound that comes from a wind chime can be very relaxing. Today we'll teach you how to make one with common household supplies.

Materials needed:

Silver utensils (I used forks and knives)

A fork or branch (make sure it can hold a little weight) to hang utensils from

Pipe cleaners, wire or heavy string

Beads (optional)

Hot glue gun or glue (if hanging outside be sure the glue can withstand the elements)

Directions: 

If using a fork as the hanger for this, you'll want to bend the tines as shown in photo above.

Wrap pipe cleaner, wire or string around the top of the utensil that will hang from the fork or branch several times making sure it is tight. Put a small amount of glue on the utensil where the piper cleaner wraps around.

Add beads where you'd like. Wrap pipe cleaner around fork tine or branch, add a small amount of glue to keep it from slipping.

Repeat this process for each utensil until all tines have a utensil hanging from it or you have as many as you'd like hanging from the branch.

Is this something you would try with your kids? Have you ever made a wind chime?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Replies (11-20):
othermom
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Neat idea.

tuckermum
by Crysta on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM
So cute I think ill do this with.my niece when she comes down.
babycarney08
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Walmart had a lot last year to make your own windchime. Did it with dd. too bad I didn't take pics! It was so cute until the squirrels took it apart. Ugh. :(
Tree-Tree
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Very cute
tisaynababae
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM

no, i am such a light sleeper and if i made it , i would not have the heart not to put it up. We do create bird houses out things every year. We are lucky to have a variety of birds where we live. Cardinals, blue birds, blue jays and hummingbirds are so pretty.

Monkiebut
by Tiffany on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM
I actually hate wind chimes so prob not
FelipesMom
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM

This is awesome!!! I am definitely going to do this!!! Also I LOVE the frisbee - what great prizes! Thank you, CafeMom! Good luck everyone! (Too bad we can't all win!) :o)

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM

It looks easy to do.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I like one with butterflies on it.

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Good craft idea!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)