Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Oregon Governor signs vax law *added too

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:02 AM
  • 17 Replies
http://www.ktvz.com/news/Ore-governor-signs-vaccine-bill-into-law/-/413192/20731648/-/mcshc4/-/index.html

Sorry mobile but anyway the part of the bill about the educational video or module crap was actually removed from the bill before passing and the doctors have a right not to sign off on your waiver, i have been following it from the start. This law is wrong in so many ways.

Update: i was kinda irritated last night so i didnt add more about the bill. They removed the entire part about watching just a video and now the government (more like big pharma) gets to create an 'educational module' that parents who decide against vaxing must watch. The government gets to decide how, when and where it will be offered and which doctors to approve. You more then likely will not be able to get signed off by your primary doctor or doctor of choice.

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2013R1/Measures/Overview/SB132
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Here's the article:

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — Oregon parents who refuse vaccines for their children will have to visit a doctor or prove they watched an educational video before sending their kids off to school.

Gov. John Kitzhaber signed the new requirement into law on Wednesday. It goes into effect immediately.

Oregon has the highest rate of kindergarteners with nonmedical vaccine exemptions in the country. Supporters hope the new law will bring the rate down.

Physicians and health officials backed the bill, saying the growing number of unvaccinated children in the state could cause diseases like whooping cough and measles to re-emerge. Opponents say the law tramples on religious rights.

Under the law, parents can still seek vaccine exemptions for nonmedical reasons.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this
This is bullshit. How can people still be okay with the government trying to require us to inject things into our body?
And I say this as somebody who vaccinates.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:48 AM
It's pure insanity considering the more people who get the vaccines the more it can get spread around!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Great. I'm praying TN doesn't do something
similar. We will fight it.
VintageWife
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:02 PM

*sighs*

graycalico
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
They should make a video for parents to watch before they get their kids vaccinated. Ridiculous. I'm in Oregon and this really irritates me.
HollySmith24
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I live in Washington and we already have to have a doctors signature unfortunately. I had to have a signature from a doctor that says I know about the risks blah blah blah. It was annoying, but all I had to to is drop it off at the kid's ped's office and pick it up the next day. Which is one of the reason's I try to have a good relationship with a ped.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Ya the bill was changed and 'internet' and 'video' were removed and it now states that the government gets to create a module and decide how, when and where it can be offered. You just cant have any doctor sign off

Quoting graycalico:

They should make a video for parents to watch before they get their kids vaccinated. Ridiculous. I'm in Oregon and this really irritates me.
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:56 PM
The only problem with this bill is that only certain doctors will be approved by the government to sign off

Quoting HollySmith24:

I live in Washington and we already have to have a doctors signature unfortunately. I had to have a signature from a doctor that says I know about the risks blah blah blah. It was annoying, but all I had to to is drop it off at the kid's ped's office and pick it up the next day. Which is one of the reason's I try to have a good relationship with a ped.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)