Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what can I do my 18 month old has low iron

Posted by   + Show Post
help she went to the doctor on Wednesday, had blood drawn for a lead test. but results for the iron was low. I mean she grew alot in her sleep im guessing. she is now in the fifty percent as other babies her age. she eats really good what can I do ?
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Replies (21-30):
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Finger pricks are easier so they do that to see if they need to draw blood. I wouldn't be worried since 10 is very close to the ideal level. If you're worried add iron and vitamin c rich foods into her diet and have blood drawn in a month or two to see if that does the trick. That's what worked for ds who's a few months younger than your daughter. He gets iron drops on days he doesn't eat well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

yep agree

Quoting polkaspots:

Finger pricks are easier so they do that to see if they need to draw blood. I wouldn't be worried since 10 is very close to the ideal level. If you're worried add iron and vitamin c rich foods into her diet and have blood drawn in a month or two to see if that does the trick. That's what worked for ds who's a few months younger than your daughter. He gets iron drops on days he doesn't eat well.

amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Give her liver, from a local farm since liver is the filter of what a cow eats, my dd loves it, cooked with bacon 

Jenn8604
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Fish are full of iron.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sweetheart08
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM
we do fish. but I will look which ones are best

Quoting Jenn8604:

Fish are full of iron.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldnt be too stressed, this from a woman who has been stressing about her own iron in pregnancy...your LOs iron is not that bad

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Is she bf? Usually bf babies have lower iron levels but they bounce back when they get bigger.

Sweetheart08
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Quoting JoJoBean8:

Is she bf? Usually bf babies have lower iron levels but they bounce back when they get bigger.

Actually she was bf but she weaned her self off at 14 months:(
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Is she getting cows milk? if so how much a day?

Quoting Sweetheart08:

Quoting JoJoBean8:

Actually she was bf but she weaned her self off at 14 months:(

Sweetheart08
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:05 PM
She gets low fat lactose freemilk, which ill be switching soon cause it goes right through her but only like two cups day between 20 and 16 oz a day
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)