Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Is There a Way to Try it Out?

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:30 PM
  • 25 Replies

I want to try cloth diapering, but my husband thinks I won't keep up with it, and that there will be leaks galore.  Does anyone know of someplace that does like a risk-free trial?  

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Maybe a friend can let you borrow.some,.i have lent cloth.diapers before. I very rarely deal with leaks.
nikzup03
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM
You can do some googling and try different brands, I don't know if you can get enough to try out full time diapering.... I never searched though.
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Diaper junction and sweet bottom babies have a 30 day trial. A few others.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Some places offer trial rental on CDs. You can also try a diaper service w/o making a commitment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM
You don't need to use a service. I cloth diaper anytime my kids have bad rashes. I usually leave them on for about a week. I don't use a service, I clean them myself.
tuckermum
by Crysta on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Idk any free trail places but we have never had a leak with clothes. He has leaked out of disposables.
Magnolia7
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Disposables leak! Cloth handles the blowouts like no sposie I've tried, I love them.
conejoazul
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:37 PM

The above replies already give some tips on renting or finding trials. I would only add that with cloth diapers you generally avoid leaks three ways:

1. Making sure the diaper you use fits properly - either your folding technique for a flat fold diaper *or* the snapping or velcro system for a fitted diaper will be key in adjusting the fit as your baby's shape changes from skinny to chubby to skinny again through the legs or tummy .... translation: we often have to remind Dad that the snap pattern that worked three months ago is not the one that works this month because baby`s shape has changed.
  2. A leak proof outer layer - some diapers have this built-in (Usually a fabric layer called PUL ), some moms use separate covers (may be out of PUL, I think some moms use a "wool" cover , but I have no experience with that).
  3. Avoiding what is known as "compression leaks" ... you *can* accidentally put so much padding into a diaper, or baby *can* sleep in a position that literally causes more pressure on a wet zone than the fabric is designed to tolerate ..... not a regular thing, but occaisionally babies who wet super heavy overnight and whose parents experiment with double or triple stuffing the diaper find they still get a leak - usually the solution isn't to keep stuffing, but just to organize their schedule to change more frequently.

Good luck ! Our family has had great luck with cloth diapering, hope yours does too!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:51 PM

You can try a cloth diaper service.

I had a friend who sent me a few different kinds to try and my hubby fell in love with them

katherinemcp
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:54 PM
This. Also, everything birth, and basic baby.

Basically they have you put down a deposit, and you get an assortment of diapers to try. When you return them you get the deposit back and usually some store credit. (:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Diaper junction and sweet bottom babies have a 30 day trial. A few others.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)