Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Backyard chickens

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM
  • 20 Replies
2 moms liked this
We got our first egg! So excited I needed to share. We have six hens we have raised from two days old and now one of our girls is laying. I can't wait for my other babies to start, too.
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:09 PM

That so cool!  We dont eat enough eggs but maybe if we had chickens we would lol

Lovin_mybaby5
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM

yay! I can wait for mine to start

Magnolia7
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:25 PM
I gave up eggs when I learned about the commercial industry. But I know these girls are treated well. :) And they are helping enrich our Compost and eat those nasty fire ants. They're very much my pets, and they are so much fun to watch play.
larissalarie
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:33 PM
That's exciting!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:54 PM
I've never thought about chickens playing and being fun to watch!
katherinemcp
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:50 AM
Awesome! I grew up with chickens in the backyard- I miss how yummy those eggs were!! We've talked about having some again, hopefully this spring! (:
tnunley
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Aww! I have 4 that are 4mo old! I keep checking, but nothing yet! I have two Easter eggers and I can't wait to see what color eggs they lay!
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:37 AM
How much work is it to maintain chickens?
Magnolia7
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Ooh, those should be some pretty eggs! Shouldn't be too long now.

Quoting tnunley:

Aww! I have 4 that are 4mo old! I keep checking, but nothing yet! I have two Easter diggers and I can't wait to see what color eggs they lay!

Magnolia7
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
We got them as chicks, So starting them out was a bit of work. They lived inside for a few weeks until they got their feathers, so there was cleaning a few times each day. Now that they're outside in the coop it's not much work. We use the deep litter method which means we add pine shavings and yard clippings to the bottom of their coop and just let any waste breakdown on it's own. I rake it every once in a while but the chickens do most of the work turning it over. Water and food gets changed which takes just a couple of minutes. They have huge food and water dispensers, so I check them every day, but don't have to fill every day. Then I clean up the nest box area about twice a week and take any waste to the compost bin - about fifteen minutes.
We let them out in the yard most of the day, putting them up just when we let the dogs out to run. At dark they put themselves up and I just close the door to the coop.
I love to take them kitchen scraps and treats like watermelon - even if I make six pieces they will all go for one and chase each other around the yard for it. They' re very friendly, especially with me because I was the main chick caretaker. They follow me around the yard and come when I call, they're definitely my feathered babies. We got them for eggs and compost, but for me they're mainly pets. :)

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

How much work is it to maintain chickens?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN