Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Naturopathic Physician

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:00 PM
  • 9 Replies

Can you tell me about Naturopathic Doctors for pediatric care?

I had a horrible, life changing experience with a pediatiatrician on Tuesday and I'm looking for something different for my 14 month old. I am now required by CPS to take my son to the doctors regularly. In your opinion is the difference in care worth a 3 hour round trip drive and paying out of pocket but possibly going into debt?

What are their usual take on vaccines? My son's Pediatrician puts in all his paper work that him being vaccine free is a chronic illness and that really bothers me.

How do they typically treat anemia?

I know not every naturopathic will do things exactly the same but I would like a general idea.

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
larissalarie
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:32 PM
I don't know personally. We haven't ever had anything but a positive experience with regular pediatricians and we've never had CPS involved in our lives, so for us paying outta pocket for a naturopath just wouldn't make sense with our finances being so tight.

I guess you have to ask yourself first of all, will CPS even accept a naturopath over what your current doctor has told them or do you need to find a mainstream doctor on your side to resolve this?
Next, how is going into debt and traveling 3 hours regularly going to affect the quality of your life vs how NOT doing it will affect the quality of your life?

I'm sorry you're going through all of this. Best of luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM
As far as naturopathy in general is concerned, you're in a fantastic state. Az is one of only a handful of states that require nds to be licensed and accredited. And az nds have a large scope of practice, I believe the largest in the US.

I use and love a naturopathic ped. He works in the natuorpathic school clinc (one of only five accredited schools in the nation, yet another awesome thing about az). He is very supportive of nonvaccinating, but like you said, all drs are different.

IMO, yes it'd be worth the drive every few months to see an nd if all you can find are arrogant mds.

I'm surprised, though, that there are no nds in your area given all the awesome things about the state. If nothing else, maybe you can call an nd and ask for recomendations in your area for one, or even for a good md.

Oh, and nds are different, some are more apt to use homeopathy, some herbs, some acupuncture, etc, so how they treat may vary as well. My daughter was not anemic, but she did have low iron, so he put her on a supplement and watched her levels for a while. He tends to use supplements first, then homeopathy or herbs, it seems.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, I hope things get better soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM

WOAH not getting vaccines is not a chronic illness, you need to find a doctor who either doesnt care or has you sign a waiver but doesnt take this stance, that is insane!

Theres low iron and theres anemia...different things.  They are treated different too.  If the child has signs of low iron/anemia that matters too.  Usually best bet first is to do a full blood draw and work with high iron rich foods paired with vit c and cutting out dairy.

I dont know if CPS will agree with a naturopath, if you are being followed by them I would find a more naturally minded ped for NOW unless CPS is cool with it.

GoodyBrook
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:12 PM

If an ND is licensed in your state, I don't see how CPS can force you go to someone else.

We see an ND, and I appreciate her view on things.  She supports my desire to "delay" vaxxing. 

In my state, most NDs will give you a 1/2 hour consultation to  make sure the fit is right...  Call up and see if they'll do a free phone consult before you go out of your way...

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Make sure that ND are licenses in your state and it shouldnt be an issue
Sweetheart08
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM
why is the cps involved. that is your choice about what you do with your child. found a doctor that's is right for you and your family
catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM

My children see a pedi but her office is supportive of natural weaning, nonvaxing, etc. However, one of my closest friends is a naturopathic physician so my children and I are (unofficially) under her care. I provide her with nursing info and support, and she provides me with natural health and healing info and support. :o)

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:34 AM

IMO.. seeing the np is worth it.   

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN