Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How accurate are the glucose tests?

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:46 PM
  • 16 Replies

I have a friend planning a vbac. She just received a call from her midwife that she only passed her glucose test by 1 point. She's a little upset because she's worried it's going to affect her chances at a VBAC (it's in the hospital). How accurate are the glucose tests? I think I remember seeing moms in here saying they aren't always exactly accurate but I can't remember. Thanks!

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM
The glucola tests are not very accurate. I've heard that multiple times. When I took it I failed the first one even though I was not anywhere near having gd. It was never a risk for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:11 PM

they arent very accurate..and she passed the test..shes fine

larissalarie
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Well now that I've got some experience with barely failing the 1 hour and declining the 3 hour in favor of going on the diet and monitoring my sugar...I'm convinced there's probably a ton of women running around with high blood sugars that squeaked by with the fairly high number allowed by the test.

My numbers during the day are good as long as I stick to the low side of the carbs allowed and make sure they come from fruit, not starchy things like potatoes or rice. The couple of times I've strayed from the diet, my 2 hour blood sugar test is way over what it should be. And my overnight fasting numbers are just a mess. Nothing I can do further with my diet influences that, my number before bed will be fine and then in the morning I wake up and it's well over 100. (supposed to be under 90)

But if I'd gone by my glucose test being barely failed and done the 3, I probably could've avoided a diagnosis. I cringe to think about that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:24 PM

WOW now thats interesting to learn!

Quoting larissalarie:

Well now that I've got some experience with barely failing the 1 hour and declining the 3 hour in favor of going on the diet and monitoring my sugar...I'm convinced there's probably a ton of women running around with high blood sugars that squeaked by with the fairly high number allowed by the test.

My numbers during the day are good as long as I stick to the low side of the carbs allowed and make sure they come from fruit, not starchy things like potatoes or rice. The couple of times I've strayed from the diet, my 2 hour blood sugar test is way over what it should be. And my overnight fasting numbers are just a mess. Nothing I can do further with my diet influences that, my number before bed will be fine and then in the morning I wake up and it's well over 100. (supposed to be under 90)

But if I'd gone by my glucose test being barely failed and done the 3, I probably could've avoided a diagnosis. I cringe to think about that.

larissalarie
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Yeah, I have to say I'm honestly shocked. I really thought that I would test my sugars after meals and in the morning for a week or two and show I was fine and that would be that. Ha! Joke is on me. My fasting numbers are bad enough that they want me on medication and started talking induction already last week...obviously neither of those things of which am I a fan :-\

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

WOW now thats interesting to learn!

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:26 AM

IMO, not very. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

GoodyBrook
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:28 AM

What's the indication for an induction, out of curiosity?

Quoting larissalarie:

Yeah, I have to say I'm honestly shocked. I really thought that I would test my sugars after meals and in the morning for a week or two and show I was fine and that would be that. Ha! Joke is on me. My fasting numbers are bad enough that they want me on medication and started talking induction already last week...obviously neither of those things of which am I a fan :-\

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

larissalarie
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Oh, well I'm not going to agree to it, I was just surprised it came up already.

Her reasoning is that my babies have already been ginormous when I didn't have GD and with my fasting sugars staying high even with proper diet, odds are this one will be newsworthy kinda big, LOL.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I figured he'd be pushing the "big baby" card.  But doesn't research show that a GD mama "might" have a baby that is half a pound larger than normal.  Might.  And if you already have had experience with big babies, what's another 1/2 pound!? 

Stick to your guns!

Quoting larissalarie:

Her reasoning is that my babies have already been ginormous when I didn't have GD and with my fasting sugars staying high even with proper diet, odds are this one will be newsworthy kinda big, LOL.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

larissalarie
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Don't worry, she "let's" me do what I want without a fight after making her suggestions ;-) I wasn't certain how much bigger GD babies were, so that's good to know and helps me be even more relaxed, thanks.
The hospital I deliver at doesn't even allow induction before 39 weeks and I've gone into labor with with last 2 in my 39th week (first was 38), so I seriously don't even see the point of inducing then, there just no point in taking the risks when baby is already about as big as he's gonna be.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

I figured he'd be pushing the "big baby" card.  But doesn't research show that a GD mama "might" have a baby that is half a pound larger than normal.  Might.  And if you already have had experience with big babies, what's another 1/2 pound!? 

Stick to your guns!

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN