Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OBs and induction *UPDATE birth story*

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:40 AM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

**UPDATE**

Connor Patrick was born on July 3rd.  I went in for the appointment worried that they would induce because of high BP or being "overdue", but Connor ended up being in a deep sleep for his Biophysical Profile and Fetal Non-Stress Test.  Nothing they did was moving him including the buzzers, poking, prodding, talking, etc.  He only scored a 4/10 (those 4 points being for his size and the amniotic fluid levels).  Obviously, I wasn't ready for THAT to be the reason for induction.  When the doc came in to talk I could not stop bawling.  I agreed to be induced, but asked to come home first so I could get our stuff and find a place for our dog to stay.  I returned to the hospital by 6, crying pretty much the whole time.  I was so depressed when I was checking in, and I didn't even want to bring in my stuff.  Then, a really nice older nurse came in and talked to me about how great it was that I wanted to go natural, and how many women don't even try anymore.  She said that my doctor is often one of the last people to suggest an induction, and that if she said so, I really should try it.  I let them insert Cervidil and slept overnight.  

By the morning, I was completely effaced and dilated to 2 (from 80% and 1).  Another doctor on call (the one I had liked the most), gave me the options of breaking my water or drugs to induce.  She said that I had about a 50/50 chance of having a C-Section that day, so I was definitely feeling even more upset.  I let them break my water at 9am, and let labor start.  As the contractions started to come, I felt more and more empowered, and knew that I could still avoid a C-Section.  I walked around and even walked outside with my doula (a friend who is traning to be a doula) until about noon, and then we went back up to the room.  I walked and rocked for a while, and ended up being dilated to 6 by around 1pm.  Then it was time to labor in the tub for a while!  The water felt wonderful, but the contractions were getting pretty crazy.  The nurse recognized my groans and had me get back on the bed and called in the doctor immediately becuase I was dilated to 9.  I pushed for about 20 minutes and Connor came out!  It was such a beatiful experience, and I'm so glad I didn't get an epidural.  The feeling of pushing him out (well, at least the "release" part where he came out) was absolutely exhilirating.  I still feel a rush when I think about it.  Connor scored 9's on his Apgar (way better than the 4 of his BPP), but I started to bleed a lot.  I don't really remember much after that, but I know the nurse said my BP dropped to 50/30 and she couldn't find my pulse.  My husband went skin to skin with Connor while they tried to stabilize me, and after a while I was able to get him back on my chest and start breastfeeding immediately.  It was a beautiful experience, and I'm so glad we have a beautiful, healthy family.

Well, I'm now a week overdue with an appointment tomorrow. The only issue i have going is high BP, but i have a feeling I'll be needing to put up a little fight against induction. I've had a wonderful pregnancy so far, but i am now starting to get tired and am hoping to still go in strong and confident. Any positive stories, affirmations, and reminders are welcome.

Also, the one intervention i had considered is a membrane sweep, but even that seems a little forceful. I have avoided overdoing even natural methods based on the belief that baby and body will work together when ready, and anything otherwise could interfere. Thoughts?

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:24 AM
3 moms liked this

I think you're exactly right with this statement!

I would avoid a membrane sweep (and all vaginal exams at your appointment!) because it has some risks including introducing infection and accidentally breaking your water. 41 weeks is still well within the normal range of gestation, especially if this is your first baby.

Hugs mama, it won't be much longer!

Quoting artsymomma3:

I have avoided overdoing even natural methods based on the belief that baby and body will work together when ready, and anything otherwise could interfere. Thoughts?

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM
3 moms liked this
Is this your first? Going 41+ weeks with your first is super normal.

If you're worried about a fight and don't want to discuss it, don't be afraid to cancel your appointment.

If you can find a good reflexologist or acupuncturist, that might help. Energy work will not force induction but balance your body to make sure it's doing what it needs to be doing. If you still need to wait, you'll end up still waiting. In my experience (as a reflexologist and a passed-due patient of acupuncture) these are both great tools.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Magnolia7
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM
It'll happen soon, and especially if it's your first you're right on time anyways. I would not recommend having membranes swept. I did with my first and we both ended up with an infection, it was awful. I also think it started labor pretty rough, I wish I had just waited. You will hear how your placenta is going to break down, Etc .... but really that's not common.
artsymomma3
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Yes, this will be my first.

I usually end up going in expecting a tough time and find myself not having the difficulties I anticipate. Hopefully tomorrow will be the same. There has only been one doc in the practice that has been difficult.

Unfortunately I live in a very rural area. We have no access to holistic or Eastern medicines for hundreds of miles. Even my hospital is nearly 2 hours away, and there are no midwives!

Fortunately I do have a friend who is training to be a doula and is a natural birth advocate. Mine will be the first toward her training.

Quoting jellyphish:

Is this your first? Going 41+ weeks with your first is super normal.

If you're worried about a fight and don't want to discuss it, don't be afraid to cancel your appointment.

If you can find a good reflexologist or acupuncturist, that might help. Energy work will not force induction but balance your body to make sure it's doing what it needs to be doing. If you still need to wait, you'll end up still waiting. In my experience (as a reflexologist and a passed-due patient of acupuncture) these are both great tools.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM

DOctors tend to really like induction because they can have control, the problem is it leaves mom out of control.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I have no stories. I didn't want an induction when i went overdue with my second but was basically forced into having one. 

melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:43 PM
No vaginal exams needed.
The membrane sweeping could accidently break your water which could set you up for a whole host of interventions.
Relax and try to stay calm prior to the appointment. Tru not to get anxious so this way you'll be more likely to have a normal bp reading.
Dr can't force you into induction. If they are concerned for overall well being and want a induction consider compromising with a non-stress test.
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:56 PM

High blood pressure is NOT to be messed with during pregnancy.  Women die.  Babies die.

If you do not want an induction WHEN THERE IS A VALID REASON FOR ONE--like gestational hypertension, you have to be prepared to bear the consequences.  I say this as a woman who had an induction with bp over 180/120 with my first and bp 140/90 with my second.  The first ended in a section, and the second induction was a successful VBAC.

Other option:  IV of Magnesium Sulfate from your OB is said to bring pressure down.  It is also used to stop premature labor, so DO NOT agree to the IV if you are also getting induced.  One or the other, or you'll likely end in a section due to a stalled labor.

Go swimming!  This is said to lower your blood pressure while pregnant.

And keep hitting the protein HARD!  You need to daily eat 1/2 gram of protein for every pound you weigh.

GL!

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:07 PM

If you do opt for an induction, look into a Foley Bulb.  It stretches your cervix gradually over 12 hours from a 1 to a 3.  It doesn't break your waters or sweep your membrane.  Then you can agree to the Pitocin, or you can opt to try nipple stimulation (via a breast pump).

If your doc doesn't offer a Foley Bulb induction, tell him to refer you to someone who does.  I'd never, never agree to any other type of induction for any reason.  This was by far the most "gentle" one I've experienced...

artsymomma3
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Thank you for the responses. I will do some research on the foley bulb tonight. My BP has remained around 140/90, and i had prior chronic hypertension.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

If you do opt for an induction, look into a Foley Bulb.  It stretches your cervix gradually over 12 hours from a 1 to a 3.  It doesn't break your waters or sweep your membrane.  Then you can agree to the Pitocin, or you can opt to try nipple stimulation (via a breast pump).

If your doc doesn't offer a Foley Bulb induction, tell him to refer you to someone who does.  I'd never, never agree to any other type of induction for any reason.  This was by far the most "gentle" one I've experienced...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)