Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

ETA...Question for Working and Pumping Moms or EPers

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM
  • 13 Replies

Best breast pump?? SIL will have to return to work 6 weeks after baby arrives, so will need to rely heavily on a good pump. She asked me for advice, but I have only used cheaper breast pumps for occasional use. I was hoping you ladies could let me know what the most reliable, long-lasting pumps are. TIA!

ETA: Do any of you know how the new health care thing works with getting insurance to cover the cost of a breast pump?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Hygeia EnJoye or Ameda Purely Yours. The Lanisnoh Affinity is the same as the Ameda, just package differently.

Amberleigh81
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I really liked the Medela pump in style advanced. I could use the pump bag as a purse/lunch box, too!
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I learned the hard way that oh get what you pay for. With once daily use, my cheapie broke in a month, my medium priced one broke in three months, but my madela lasted a year. Then I bought another pump in style used for this baby, I'm the second owner, pump daily, and its still going strong after fourteen months.
Definitely consider the pump in style for heavy use.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I had the lansinoh with my first, lasted 18 months. I pump at work.
I got the Ahmed's this time. It's the same pump as far as I can tell only with a professional looking case.
I like both :)
cemcnair
by Courtney on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:15 PM
The PIS is an open system. I'd go with a closed system for hygienic purposes.

Quoting jellyphish:

I learned the hard way that oh get what you pay for. With once daily use, my cheapie broke in a month, my medium priced one broke in three months, but my madela lasted a year. Then I bought another pump in style used for this baby, I'm the second owner, pump daily, and its still going strong after fourteen months.

Definitely consider the pump in style for heavy use.
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I got used to the hospital-grade Medela Symphony at the hospital and rented one for a few months...  I bit the bullet and purchased one for my first son and it's still going strong with my second.

I personally would never fork out hundreds of dollars for a pump that I haven't tried.  If your SIL has the option of renting one by the week, I'd recommend she try a variety before she invests in one...

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:29 PM
bump
cemcnair
by Courtney on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Ameda*
Lol autocorrect!

Quoting cemcnair:

I had the lansinoh with my first, lasted 18 months. I pump at work.

I got the Ahmed's this time. It's the same pump as far as I can tell only with a professional looking case.

I like both :)
VintageWife
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Bump....not sure. Was never good at pumping.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:17 PM

SOme insurances cover pumps and some do not, mine does not.  WIC covers pumps, medicaid usually does too.  She needs to call her insurance about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)