Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

This post is for those doing/thinking of UP and/or UC

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 23 Replies
3 moms liked this

I noticed this group is lacking in information on unassisted prenatal care and unassisted birth. The birth is normal group takes a little while to get into so I figured I'd start a thread with articles and helpful information.

I'm 29 weeks and considering both UP from now on and an UC when it's baby time. This wasn't my original plan but after being bullied by my midwifes concerning the glucose test I started to seriously wonder if they have my baby's and my best interest in mind. I'm by no means against medical care but I do think a patient should have say in their care and treatment plan, doctors do know a lot but women also know their bodys and should be allowed to take responsibility and make their own informed choices!

Below I'll post links to blogs and articles that I find helpful in my research as well as links to places where you can buy things at a good price that you may nead such as supplements/birth kits/glucose meters/and other items that you may want or need.

I'll be posting as I come across stuff, and I hope it helps :)

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3kidz123
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a link to the Birth Without Fear blog which is a great place to explore in general but this link should bring you to the UC stories :)

There are some great stories here and if your thinking about having one you probably are trying to finad as many stories as possible!

http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/category/bwf-topics/unassisted-childbirth-2/

VintageWife
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck!

conejoazul
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM
I am sorry to read you and your midwife couldn't approach your pregnancy from the same mindset, though maybe it is a plus to discover your differences before delivery time gets here! DH and I are also striving for a home birth / UC ... we're continuing to get better-informed and will finalize our decision in the final days.
3kidz123
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Here is an article I just found and it's a MUST read about prenatal care!

I'ts about the Mayo Clinic testing out a more "do it yourself" prenatal care routine. It's still in the test phases but it goes to show that the benifits of face to face doctor appointments aren't what's important to a healthy pregnancy but more getting prenatal care in general EVEN when done yourself. They have women doing more of their own care such as monitering their own vitals and using fetal dopples to check in on baby...I personally found it very comforting and it makes me think that my baby would be just as well off if I do my care as it would with face to face visits. Also it goes to show that the way of thinking with prenatal care IS infact changing...the idea of doing your own is no longer so "out there" or crazy.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/196712051.html

3kidz123
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I was really bummed that this happened at first. I put so much effort into finding the right hospital and provider just to discover that she's just as pushy as the doctors I was trying to get away from. The more I learn though the more I think this is the better way for me and the baby.

It's not our first (it's our 5th)

We had a homebirth last time with a midwife, so homebirth isn't new

My pregnancy is healthy and normal at this point

I already had all the important tests such as blood work, ultrasounds, STD testing, and I don't want aany other testing done anyways

We live 5-10 min from 3 hospitals if there is a problem

All my births have been natural vaginal deliverys with no issues

And I'm perfectly capable of doing my own prenatal care for the next 11 or so weeks.

How far along are you? What made you guys decide to try for a UC?

Quoting conejoazul:

I am sorry to read you and your midwife couldn't approach your pregnancy from the same mindset, though maybe it is a plus to discover your differences before delivery time gets here! DH and I are also striving for a home birth / UC ... we're continuing to get better-informed and will finalize our decision in the final days.

conejoazul
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Wow, you have much more experience with birth than I do. This will be my second birth and I am 31 weeks. I think we can just have a more loving environment if we complete the birth at home. If we lived near an acceptable birth center I might consider that ad a reasonable compromise, but we don't.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:09 PM

If I hd risked out with my CNm we were going to really consider UC.  Luckily I didnt but we shall see if there is ever another child we just may.  

I have a PDF of emergency childbirth the book..its helpful but I am not sure how to share it here

3kidz123
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Aww we are close in due dates :) about 2 weeks apart.

The hospital I was going to use has a birthc center in it and really is a great hospital! Problem is I can't find great pre-natal care :(

Homebirth was what I really wanted but I couldn't find a homebirth midwife which is the only reason we had planned for the hospital birth. I really do love homebirths though and it works with our natural aproach, plus we were thinking about doing plecenta encaptulation and how easy would that be if we have the baby here :)

Quoting conejoazul:

Wow, you have much more experience with birth than I do. This will be my second birth and I am 31 weeks. I think we can just have a more loving environment if we complete the birth at home. If we lived near an acceptable birth center I might consider that ad a reasonable compromise, but we don't.

Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:28 PM
2 moms liked this

GL Thanks for posting. I'm in here and there. I've found that not a lot of people are over there, which may be why it's harder to get in. I read awesome stuff, then go to comment and find out it's over a year old :)

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:30 PM
It has slowed down a lot when we got a BIN on Facebook. I miss it being more active here.

Quoting Momma2013:

GL Thanks for posting. I'm in here and there. I've found that not a lot of people are over there, which may be why it's harder to get in. I read awesome stuff, then go to comment and find out it's over a year old :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN