Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Does anyone know....? (re: vitamins/supplements)

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM
  • 11 Replies

I'm just wondering, should I take my vitamins/supplements all together in the morning, or spread them out throughout the day? I'm taking my prenatal, B complex, D3, St. John's Wort, and an iron supplement.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

If you take any calcium dont take it the same time as iron...so check your prenatal if it has calcium take it a different time, BUT take iron with something..even juice that is strong in vit c

catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 2:58 AM

I don't know the technically correct answer, sorry.. I just take all of mine before bedtime. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:31 AM
I've always taken everything at the same time, and that includes iron pills, calcium chews and prenatals. What does it matter?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

If you take any calcium dont take it the same time as iron...so check your prenatal if it has calcium take it a different time, BUT take iron with something..even juice that is strong in vit c

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:49 AM

I prefer to take my prenatal at night prior to bed, as it upsets my stomach--I'd rather be asleep than awake when it happens...

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:26 PM

sometimes it says on the bottles to avoid citrus or other things with it.  So check that out but I think that should be fine.

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Calcium blocks iron absorption. 

Quoting polkaspots:

I've always taken everything at the same time, and that includes iron pills, calcium chews and prenatals. What does it matter?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I'm Mary married(since 10-5-08) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008), Caidence(2010), Baby3 (2013). Christian, SAHM, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, Natural birthing, holistic loving, AP, ERF & EH, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM
I never knew that. I think I'll start taking my iron pills in the morning and the rest in the afternoon then.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Calcium blocks iron absorption. 

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjrex87
by Mindy on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Thank you :-)

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I always took mine all in the morning and I don't know the technical answer either :(

Quoting catholicmamamia:

I don't know the technically correct answer, sorry.. I just take all of mine before bedtime. 

Magnolia7
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Calcium inhibits iron absorbtion. Take iron separately with vitamin c rich food to increase bioavailability.

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN