Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Alternatives to the glucose test?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM
  • 14 Replies
I really don't want to do it this time. It's baby #3 and I'd like to skip it. Or do something else. Any ideas?
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM
I did a single blood draw after an 8 hour fast (so before breakfast). It was easy, and more accurate.
You also have the option of opting out altogether, which was my original plan since I am low risk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liz132
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I didn't take it at all last time. You could take it after a meal instead of using the orange crap or monitor your blood sugar.

Heymamashakeit
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Is there a cheap way to monitor it? I know the testing supplies can be pricey!

Quoting Liz132:

I didn't take it at all last time. You could take it after a meal instead of using the orange crap or monitor your blood sugar.

Liz132
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:32 PM

You may be able to get a free meter when I worked in a pharmacy companies gave us free meters to give out because each meter only takes their brand of test strips so when they needed test strip they would buy that brand but all the meters came with 10 or so strips that'd be enough to get an idea if you need to keep monitoring it. If you go into a pharmacy and ask they might just give you a meter.

Quoting Heymamashakeit:

Quoting Liz132:

Heymamashakeit
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM
What would I say? Lol I go to Walgreens if that matters. And can I test on my arm? I'm a pansy and don't like sticking my fingers. When I give blood my dad has to hold my hand while they do it. But I give blood like a pro lol

Quoting Liz132:

You may be able to get a free meter when I worked in a pharmacy companies gave us free meters to give out because each meter only takes their brand of test strips so when they needed test strip they would buy that brand but all the meters came with 10 or so strips that'd be enough to get an idea if you need to keep monitoring it. If you go into a pharmacy and ask they might just give you a meter.

Quoting Heymamashakeit:

Quoting Liz132:

Liz132
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I would just ask if they had any sample meters. If they don't you can ask at other pharmacies, it was an independent pharmacy, I don't know about walgreens policies. If you can't get one, you might be able to get your dr or midwife to write a prescription for one if your insurance covers that.

Quoting Heymamashakeit:

What would I say? Lol I go to Walgreens if that matters. And can I test on my arm? I'm a pansy and don't like sticking my fingers. When I give blood my dad has to hold my hand while they do it. But I give blood like a pro lol

Quoting Liz132:

Quoting Heymamashakeit:

Quoting Liz132:

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I test my own blood glucose at home. This is how I got my meter as well. I have a friend who's mom works a a pharmacy. She brought me a sample meter for free. I would advise against testing on your arm because it's a bit less accurate, and it doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would. I got the Bayer Contour Meter which came with 10 test strips, 10 lancets, and the Microlet2 which you load the lancets into and it pokes you for you. I was suprised at how painless it is. :) 

Quoting Heymamashakeit:

Quoting Liz132:

Quoting Heymamashakeit:

Quoting Liz132:

I'm Mary married(since 10-5-08) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008), Caidence(2010), Baby3 (2013). Christian, SAHM, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, Natural birthing, holistic loving, AP, ERF & EH, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I've heard of mamas drinking fruit juice instead of the glucola they want you to down.  (Is this the test you're talking about?  I opted for the midwife pricking my finger instead).

jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM
If I want this option should I call and asking they'll do it? Or wait till I go back? I will be 24 wks and don't know if they do it at the 24or28 wk appt. I'd really like to skip the nasty drink..

Quoting jellyphish:

I did a single blood draw after an 8 hour fast (so before breakfast). It was easy, and more accurate.

You also have the option of opting out altogether, which was my original plan since I am low risk.
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM
I drank organic grape juice instead.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)