Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

New to the group, but need advice!

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello ladies, my name is Amanda, I am 36 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. Had my first two naturally... And here is the situation.Sorry it's long.

I was diagnosed with GD this pregnancy, and have been testing my numbers 4 times a day and they are always under 100. Doctor says that the test was probably a fluke since my numbers look so good. (Everything is controlled by diet, and I have not changed anything in my diet, have even had ice cream and my numbers are below 100)

Today at my visit I was told that baby is measuring right on track, but because of my GD they will NOT let me get to my due date of Aug 1, that if I don't have the baby in the next three weeks they will induce in the 39th week. I DO NOT WANT THIS!!!!!!

I am on state insurance, have called and asked what I can do, and they said that I have to follow doctors orders or they will refuse to pay. And if I am deemed "non compliant" that I will have to pay back everything they have paid for so far.

So I need some advice, what can I do? What information do you have that I can possibly take to my doctor to try and change his mind.... I feel so defeted about all of this, and really want to have this baby naturally and I don't want to be forced to have an induction if it's not medically necessary, and based on what the doctor said today, it's not MEDICALLY necessary...

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Replies (21-29):
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:05 PM

They will still pay. Don't show up for your induction and go to the hospital when you are in labor. 

catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Quoting MacMamaof5: If nothing else--if some "emergency" would happen to come up and you didn't make your "induction/c-section" appointment...that would NOT be a bad thing either.  

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

VintageWife
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Come up with a reason that day not to show.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeforchrist
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Don't go for the induction. Get a second opinion and have a Dr sign off that induction is unecessary with oyur numbers. So when you refuse to show up and medicaid tries to pull a fast one you have proof that your dr was being an idiot and it was in the benefit of mother and child to not induce. Medicaid doesnt get to dictate what you decline and accept.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I've never heard that about the insurance company before, I might call and talk to someone else.  Ask the same questions again, that just seems crazy.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Just be out of town that day of something also, avoid setting it up.

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

The thing is though, if you're on medicaid, your dr already knows that you are low income, or otherwise qualified. If he marks you as non-compliant, and the state doesn't pay, he knows that you may never pay at all or that you may only pay $10/month until it's paid off. If he wants his money, he won't mark you as non-compliant for just one thing. KWIM? 

Quoting Hembymom:

Quoting larissalarie:

In the other group you said switching physicians isn't an option, right?

You could try using logic with the doc. By 39 weeks, that baby is about as big as it's gonna get. Ask how inducing to shave off a few ounces is beneficial?

Or you could start preparing to do an unassisted childbirth at home.

I would be questioning if it's legal for medicaid to refuse to pay for your care if you refuse an induction. That sounds like a scare tactic to get you to comply to me.
You can always stop seeing your doctor and just show up at the hospital in labor. They have to treat you and you can make a payment plan to pay for your care.

Yeah, I called the other ob in town and he said he wouldn't take me on this late, and when I called medicaid they said that they wouldn't allow me to switch providers this late in the game.

When I talked to them (medicaid) , even talked to the supervisor and they told me that they only go by what the doctor codes the medical forms for, they don't go back and actually look if something was medically necessary or not but if the doctor says you are "non-compliant" they will refuse to pay for anything and could possibly make me back pay for the services that they have already paid for.

I'm Mary married(since 10-5-08) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008), Caidence(2010), Baby3 (2013). Christian, SAHM, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, Natural birthing, holistic loving, AP, ERF & EH, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I agree

Quoting larissalarie:

You could try using logic with the doc. By 39 weeks, that baby is about as big as it's gonna get. Ask how inducing to shave off a few ounces is beneficial?

I would be questioning if it's legal for medicaid to refuse to pay for your care if you refuse an induction. That sounds like a scare tactic to get you to comply to me.
You can always stop seeing your doctor and just show up at the hospital in labor. They have to treat you and you can make a payment plan to pay for your care.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Yeah I agree. It doesn't make sense. 

Quoting MaryJarrett:

The thing is though, if you're on medicaid, your dr already knows that you are low income, or otherwise qualified. If he marks you as non-compliant, and the state doesn't pay, he knows that you may never pay at all or that you may only pay $10/month until it's paid off. If he wants his money, he won't mark you as non-compliant for just one thing. KWIM? 

Quoting Hembymom:

Quoting larissalarie:

Yeah, I called the other ob in town and he said he wouldn't take me on this late, and when I called medicaid they said that they wouldn't allow me to switch providers this late in the game.

When I talked to them (medicaid) , even talked to the supervisor and they told me that they only go by what the doctor codes the medical forms for, they don't go back and actually look if something was medically necessary or not but if the doctor says you are "non-compliant" they will refuse to pay for anything and could possibly make me back pay for the services that they have already paid for.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN