Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Non vax'ing families and international travel.

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:52 AM
  • 20 Replies

My kids are very minimally vaccinated. We are traveling to Mexico.  Have any of you mamas been in this situation?  Did you get select vaccinations before you traveled? If so what ones?  Or is there really nothing to worry about?

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aestas
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:46 AM

I do vaccinate my child and have kept her more or less on the regular schedule, but I thought I'd try to answer your question since I have some experience with overseas travel. I spent part of my childhood in Africa and thus received a lot of vaccinations as a kid that weren't standard, especially at that time. I still check in with a doctor to get any extra vaccinations or boosters I might need before traveling to developing countires.

In your situation, I'd recommend two things. First, check the State Department's website for any warnings or information about the areas you're traveling to. Generally, the more touristy areas will be of less concern than more rural or off-the-beaten-path areas, but you'll want to make sure you have current information on any possible outbreaks or special concerns for the areas where you'll be. Second, do you have a pediatrician who's friendly to your concerns about vaccinations? I would ask her or him about the areas you're going to and what concerns or recommendations s/he has. The sooner you do this, the better, because it will give you more time to weigh your options and space out any vaccinations you do decide to get, if you end up feeling it's necessary. Ultimately, you'll have to weigh the information that's available to you and do what feels safest to you.

Some infections, like Hep A, can be spread through contaminated food and water, so you'll also want to make sure you're aware of what's safe to eat where you're going. In Mexico, I would generally avoid drinking tap water, including making sure not to get drinks with ice at restaurants. You can also use bottled water for brushing teeth.

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM

We have traveled many places and never got vaxs. You will want to stay away from contaminated water, same as you would in your own community. 

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Maybe it depends where you're going, but I don't think Mexico has any prevelant exotic diseases you need to worry about.
This topic comes up frequently in Choosing Not To Vaccinate and there are always lots of great advice. I suggest perusing that group.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM

We don't vax but haven't traveled out of the country here's a bump

BlessedMammaof2
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't vax. My eldest has been to Colombia and Costa Rica. My youngest will be three months old when we travel again to Costa Rica. There's a list on the CDC website of required and recommended vaccines for international travel. There are very few places that actually require vaccines for international travel.
catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM

IDK about intl travel, though we are nonvax.. here is a BUMP. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

jamamama00
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Mexican immigrants often bring measles to our state, I know that.
TwinsPlusOne4Me
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks ladies!!! Thought I might get bashed for not vaxing, pleasantly surprised ;).
mjrex87
by Mindy on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Not in this group! :-)

Quoting TwinsPlusOne4Me:

Thanks ladies!!! Thought I might get bashed for not vaxing, pleasantly surprised ;).

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Do you have any data for that?

Quoting jamamama00:

Mexican immigrants often bring measles to our state, I know that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN