Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Non vax'ing families and international travel.

My kids are very minimally vaccinated. We are traveling to Mexico.  Have any of you mamas been in this situation?  Did you get select vaccinations before you traveled? If so what ones?  Or is there really nothing to worry about?

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
jamamama00
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Data? Our whole school shut down because of it for almost a week. What kind of data do you want? Are you saying this isn't true?

Quoting ceckyl:

Do you have any data for that?

Quoting jamamama00:

Mexican immigrants often bring measles to our state, I know that.

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM
I'm saying I'd like to see data, that's all.

Quoting jamamama00:

Data? Our whole school shut down because of it for almost a week. What kind of data do you want? Are you saying this isn't true?

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting jamamama00:

jamamama00
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Google it. Measle outbreaks in Texas.

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting jamamama00:

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Quoting jellyphish:

Maybe it depends where you're going, but I don't think Mexico has any prevelant exotic diseases you need to worry about.
This topic comes up frequently in Choosing Not To Vaccinate and there are always lots of great advice. I suggest perusing that group.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:34 PM
How do you know it came from Mexico? I'm in a Mexico-boardering state and I've never heard about Mexicans causing measles outbreaks in schools.

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting jamamama00:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamamama00
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Because they track this stuff. You don't remember the massive measles outbreaks of the nineties? Our school was shut down for a week, and one of my classmates died. Almost all of the victims were unvaccinated Mexican students. The girl that died in my school was from Mexico. Google it. 

Quoting jellyphish:

How do you know it came from Mexico? I'm in a Mexico-boardering state and I've never heard about Mexicans causing measles outbreaks in schools.

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting jamamama00:

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:53 PM
So Mexicans got it, I'm guessing the Mexican population is higher in your school. That doesn't mean it came from Mexico, that means some Mexican students got it.

Either way, measles isn't something that is isolated to Mexico, it happens in the US throughout, and the measles vax is on the standard schedule. I just don't think measles is what op is asking about.

Quoting jamamama00:

Because they track this stuff. You don't remember the massive measles outbreaks of the nineties? Our school was shut down for a week, and one of my classmates died. Almost all of the victims were unvaccinated Mexican students. The girl that died in my school was from Mexico. Google it. 

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting jamamama00:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamamama00
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM

That isn't what I said. I did not assume that it came from Mexico because "Mexican kids got it." The CDC tracked the illness and found that it came from a family who had returned from visiting Mexico. Most of the victims in our area (which is heavily populated w/ immigrants) were also Mexican children (who were not vaxed.) I'm not sure what OP was looking for, but thought it was important to fill her in on the measles problem. Yes, the disease can happen anywhere, but it is much, much more common in unvaccinated populations. 

Quoting jellyphish:

So Mexicans got it, I'm guessing the Mexican population is higher in your school. That doesn't mean it came from Mexico, that means some Mexican students got it.

Either way, measles isn't something that is isolated to Mexico, it happens in the US throughout, and the measles vax is on the standard schedule. I just don't think measles is what op is asking about.

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting jamamama00:

TwinsPlusOne4Me
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Well actually my kids don't have the MMR vax, so... It's something to think about. We are going to Mexico with my best friend who used to live there--she doesn't share the same philosophy about vaxing so her girls who lived their first 5 years there have all their vax and some. We obviously know to be careful about water, even she reminded me to make sure my kids brush their teeth with bottled water etc.  But they will be playing with all of her nieces and nephews so I have that to add to the equation. Really the only vax my kids do have is dTap.  

Quoting jamamama00:

That isn't what I said. I did not assume that it came from Mexico because "Mexican kids got it." The CDC tracked the illness and found that it came from a family who had returned from visiting Mexico. Most of the victims in our area (which is heavily populated w/ immigrants) were also Mexican children (who were not vaxed.) I'm not sure what OP was looking for, but thought it was important to fill her in on the measles problem. Yes, the disease can happen anywhere, but it is much, much more common in unvaccinated populations. 

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting jamamama00:

jamamama00
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Montezumas revenge is no bueno. Like seriously. I would even be careful with drinking soda because if it is bottled locally you will get that shit....pun intended lol

Quoting TwinsPlusOne4Me:

Well actually my kids don't have the MMR vax, so... It's something to think about. We are going to Mexico with my best friend who used to live there--she doesn't share the same philosophy about vaxing so her girls who lived their first 5 years there have all their vax and some. We obviously know to be careful about water, even she reminded me to make sure my kids brush their teeth with bottled water etc.  But they will be playing with all of her nieces and nephews so I have that to add to the equation. Really the only vax my kids do have is dTap.  

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting jamamama00:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN