Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Speech Therapy. Did your child benefit?

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:24 AM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

DS is 26 months old and says very little.  He has awesome comprehension, but he's just not that into being verbal--yet. 

I had him assessed by an SLP in May, and we went to his first round of "therapy" today. 

UGGG.  Nothing the woman did was different that what we do with him on a daily basis--except I get to pay her $80 per session for it!  Admittedly, I'm cheap.  But if it will really help him "speak," I'm happy to pay...

Did your child benefit from Speech Therapy?  Will one time per week REALLY help more than what DH and I can do in the home?

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:44 AM
My sister benefited quite a bit from her therapies. She had speech, physical and occupational therapy. The big thing is that ther therapist will teach you and your husband how to help him on a daily basis. My sister was a bit older when she started though, I think she was almost 4.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Monkiebut
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:49 AM
My son is 23months and has been in speech for 6 months. He is basically non verbal. He makes more noise now but we only get seen 1x a month. The insurance is now suing for it do I'm sure it will become weekly. My son has an auditory processing delay (recently diagnosed.)
My step son didn't get speech therapy till 5yrs and is 7 and will STILL have it for at least 3 more years. It's seriously better to fix it early than wait.
GL
Jenn8604
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM
My son has benefited from his ST at school. The private one he saw on the side was not a fit for him because she always changed everything and she was a complete mess. She dropped him because he was almost 4 and hadn't started talking again (he has autism and regressed from using sentences to nonverbal at 2) therefore he never would. 3 weeks after she dropped him he started using words. the more ST he gets at school the better. he's 5 and now is using sentences. Maybe only 5 words tops and has to be prompted to talk but he can use words.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swedemomma
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM
My dd started about 2. She is now 4 1/2 and the therapists said she should have been too advanced to continue at 4, but found some goals so she could stay in until 5. We are lucky to have had a free program for kids before 3 and then the school system offers a free program for 3+. I had speech in 1st and 2nd grade and again in 5th. I wanted to treat her early since its so much better it seems. Also so much easier to get her in before K.

My dh and I joke that if the next one is behind in speech he won't be getting any assistance since she talks non-stop. If I had to pay out of pocket, I think I would suggest waiting until 3. Before that she didn't seem to benefit that much, but maybe just harder to notice changes.

We also put her in preschool early, she will go for a total of 3 yrs. This seems to have helped her speech tremendously too. She started at 2 1/2 and only said 1-2 word sentences. By the end of her first year of preschool she was same level as peers and even more advanced than some.
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM

We have had and currently have speech therapy at home through early intervention 4hrs a week. I wouldn't pay $80 a visit!!! Spend several hours a week on the floor playing engaging. Eye to eye. Pick just a handful of words to work on. Use them every chance you can. Show him the sign and say the word every time.

We do sign language first while saying the word. Ellie qualified at just under 1 so the amount of words she was saying was none and sounds were 1. So we had a lot to work on. At 15mo she says loads of words and attempts many others she also signs alot of words.

Google search di

MarchHare3
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Honestly no. My 3 year old has been in birth to 3 for a year now. I have seen no difference in his language besides normal growth with age. He had hearing loss due to water behind his eardrums. And the therapist "which I love" does nothing that I hadn't already been doing with him. But unlike you our insurance pays for it. If I had to pay out of pocket I would be cancel the session fast.
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:39 PM

My Ds has multiple disabilities and started at 1.  At 3 years now he is really just getting into speaking.  Yes I do feel that it did help. 

sm12
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Four months ago my son who at the time was 26 months old did not say anything other than mama and dada.  His comprehension and understanding at 19 months was compared to a 31 month old so he understood everything but just could not talk.  We started him with speech therapy 4 months ago and now he is not only saying a variety or words but even sentences, everyday he amazes me with new words.  He has speech therapy once a week for an hour and loves his therapist who comes to the house, he does better when we are not around and certainly is engaged more than he ever was with us. In my personal opinion I think once a week we will benefit your son more than what you and hubby do.  We actually don't do a lot with my so. Other tha. Make hi use his words or give choices to hi. To encourage him using words.  We don't do much because he does not want to do anything with us.  

catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM

None of mine ever needed it.. but here is a BUMP  :o) 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

jaylyndenae
by Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:06 AM

My almost 3 year old is just now talking. He went from only a handful of words to sentences in literally the last couple weeks. Some kids just develop slower than others, but seem to catch up without any problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)