Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Toothpaste

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:36 AM
  • 27 Replies
I have a question. Ds bit through the last tube of flouride free toothpaste and I won't be able to buy more for a few days. Can my kids use baking soda until I get more toothpaste for them? I use just baking soda, dh uses regular toothpaste, and they've always used the flouride free stuff. I really don't want to use Dh's toothpaste because at three and one both of them swallow the toothpaste. So should I use baking soda or regular crest?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:52 AM
1 mom liked this
If they don't gag on the taste and tolerate it, it's totally fine. You could also just brush their teeth with water & the brush only until you get more. Or brush with coconut oil.
I absolutely would NOT use the crest on them, specifically the one year old. If you look at the directions, even it says not to use under age 2. Their teeth are still too delicate and the fluoride will damage them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I'll try baking soda and if that doesn't work I'll just use water. I don't have any coconut oil at the moment. I ran out about a week ago and haven't gotten any more. I've never given them regular toothpaste before, but I was nervous about the idea of them not brushing their teeth with real toothpaste tomorrow night. I really dislike them going to bed without clean teeth. Fortunately he broke the toothpaste after she was in bed and his were already brushed.

Quoting larissalarie:

If they don't gag on the taste and tolerate it, it's totally fine. You could also just brush their teeth with water & the brush only until you get more. Or brush with coconut oil.
I absolutely would NOT use the crest on them, specifically the one year old. If you look at the directions, even it says not to use under age 2. Their teeth are still too delicate and the fluoride will damage them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:45 AM
IMO, baking soda is not only safe but ideal. You can use some kind if flavor extract if you want. Since they swallow it I wouldn't use an eo, but a cooking extract should be good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM
I thought that would defeat the purpose. The older one didn't like it, so she'll just use water for a few days. The little one didn't mind though. He really likes brushing his teeth.

Quoting jellyphish:

IMO, baking soda is not only safe but ideal. You can use some kind if flavor extract if you want. Since they swallow it I wouldn't use an eo, but a cooking extract should be good.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM
What would defeat the purpose? The extract? It's probably better than whatever flavoring is in any kids' toothpaste.

Quoting polkaspots:

I thought that would defeat the purpose. The older one didn't like it, so she'll just use water for a few days. The little one didn't mind though. He really likes brushing his teeth.

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:13 PM
I guess you're right. Either way, I'll use water until I can get more.

Quoting jellyphish:

What would defeat the purpose? The extract? It's probably better than whatever flavoring is in any kids' toothpaste.

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:17 PM

It is fine.. :o) 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Mine do not mind brushing with it. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I would just try baking soda if they will tolerate it. If not water should be ok until you can get some more.

momee420
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Do you have any castile soap like dr bronner? Thats what my famiky uses even my 2 year old.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)