Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Delayed cord clamping and placenta encapsualtion

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have a few questions that I'd like insight on.

Did anyone do delayed cord clamping?

What about placenta encapsulation?

Suggestion? Tips? Personal experience?

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
igotheart
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I just recently found out about the benefits of delayed cord clamping and definitely will request this. I hope you get some responses because I'd like to read personal experiences about this as well.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM
I did both and was very happy with both.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM
My biggest suggestion would be to plan ahead and let your practitioner know you plan on having these done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Many in here have done these.. giving this a BUMP for more replies  :o) 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

swedemomma
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:51 PM
I had delayed cord clamping with both my other children. I didn't know about the placenta encapsulation until after my last kid. I am planning on it this pregnancy. I have a friend who is a doula and trained it it, so I have hired her. I know you can do it yourself, but it's not for me. I didn't even l
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:09 AM

We delayed cord clamping for about 10 minutes.  Then the hospital administered the Vitamin K shot.  The extra blood from the delayed clamping, combined with the Vitamin K, caused DS2 to develop Polycythemia (essentially "thick blood") and have to spend a few days in NICU until it resolved itself.  Never again would I allow the Vitamin K shot on top of delayed cord clamping....

I had my first child's placenta encapsulated, and I got so many that I still have some left, even after my second child...

Oh, and I still have DS2's placenta in the freezer.  Thanks for the reminder!  (I'll look into making  a tincture with it...).

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I'm doing both this time..the other times I didnt know much about it, last pregnancy my sons cord was very very short and the doctor cut it very quickly because he was purple and she wanted to have him taken to be worked on...irritated me

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Due to problems I did not delay cord clamping but I did use my placenta for smoothies. A lot of women I know have done the capsules and were happy with the results. 

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:37 PM

bump

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Yes both.
Suggestion: do it! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)