Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paleo Diet

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:21 AM
  • 12 Replies

Hi everyone! I know I'm not very active in this group (or any group really) but I know you guys are lovely people and I hope you take the time to help me out a bit.

It's 2 am where I live, and I'm sitting on the couch looking up how to lose weight while sitting on the couch eating ice cream and drinking mountain dew. I know, really healthy, right?

Obviously, it's not. I've been gaining weight, I'm horribly out of shape, and I feel like crap. I know I don't eat very well, and I know it's a problem. I'm not good at cooking (but I bake really well!!) and I feel like I never have time anymore. Truth is I'm just lazy.

Soooo, in short, I want some kind of fix. I need to eat better and excersize. I google quick diets, exercize routines, whatever, "try" them, and fail. And feel even more like crap. I know I'm perpetually dehydrated, because I never drink water (I drank enough when I was pregnant and it was fantastic lmao). I need a lifestyle change to get me out of this rut.

I stumbled across a guide to the Paleo diet. It actually makes a lot of sense to me, and I think I would like to try it. I'm a huge carbaholic though, so I'm kind of afraid to, though. Pasta is a staple in my house, because it's delicious and cheap. I've been cutting down a lot, but I could easily drink a gallon of cow's milk a day if I let myself. I know it's not healthy, plus I can't afford to drink that much, so I've been dragging one gallon out over a week, but I fill it in with soda, or nothing at all. (FTR, though, Gabe only has mama milk, or rice milk when I'm at work.)

I'm sorry this is so long... I talk too much IRL, it's hard to curb online lol

Anyways. Paleo mama's, help me. I'm the kind of person that needs to jump in with both feet and sink or swim. I want to try it for 30 days and re-evaluate to see how it's working for us. Good idea, or am I totally insane? I think it's a good idea... But it's 2 am and I'm full of sugar.

Anyways, it's less crazy than my idea to jump into the insanity workout as out of shape as I am. Now I'm looking into yoga. *sigh* I really need to fix my life.

So... Thoughts? Maybe?

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM
You don't need a fad diet, you need to start eating healthy real food, aka fruits & veggies. Paleo is a good way to do that I suppose.
There's no way for us to make the change "easy", no matter what diet you pick, if it addresses your issues of eating junk, it's going to be hard for awhile. The desire to be healthy and thriving has to come from within, but it certainly can be done with real desire!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NowImAMom...
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM
That's my thought. I do eat fruits, but I eat way too much junk. Paleo seems to be more of a lifestyle than a fad. I think because it's such a drastic difference from my norm, it might be easier to stick to. Rather than, say, trying to cut out soda (which I've already done) and then going without for awhile until I decide "just one couldn't hurt," (which I've also done) it'll be a totally different thing. Does that make sense? I really need to change my life and I know that and want it and need it.

Quoting larissalarie:

You don't need a fad diet, you need to start eating healthy real food, aka fruits & veggies. Paleo is a good way to do that I suppose.

There's no way for us to make the change "easy", no matter what diet you pick, if it addresses your issues of eating junk, it's going to be hard for awhile. The desire to be healthy and thriving has to come from within, but it certainly can be done with real desire!
larissalarie
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Yep, risky makes sense! Some people need gradual change, some need radical.
Give it a try! Commit to a month and see how much better you'll feel :-)

Quoting NowImAMom...:

That's my thought. I do eat fruits, but I eat way too much junk. Paleo seems to be more of a lifestyle than a fad. I think because it's such a drastic difference from my norm, it might be easier to stick to. Rather than, say, trying to cut out soda (which I've already done) and then going without for awhile until I decide "just one couldn't hurt," (which I've also done) it'll be a totally different thing. Does that make sense? I really need to change my life and I know that and want it and need it.

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NowImAMom...
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Once I run down my pasta and other crap lol because I'm not going to throw it out, but if I have it around I'll fall off the wagon. I'm already becoming aware of how much I eat in carbs... It's worse than thought. So I'm definitely going to try!

Quoting larissalarie:

Yep, risky makes sense! Some people need gradual change, some need radical.

Give it a try! Commit to a month and see how much better you'll feel :-)

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Quoting larissalarie:

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Dh decided on paleo, and loves it, but he alsp.loves meat! Lol

Anyways, fresh,.real and homemade is the wY to go. Take it slowly :) when you go grocwry shopping stick to the outside of the store, go first to the fruits and veggies, than the meat section.

My personal weakness are sweets, so imay buy some trail mix with dark chocolate, and any other sweet is only what I make, and I use sweetners like raw honey, real maple syrup or fruits.

For pasta, use whole wheat or spagetti squash of you decide on the paleo diet.

We eat a lot of eggs because they are cheaper and have a lot of nutrience.

For baked goods we use almond meal (gives extra protein).

I add.healthy oils in our diet as well, coconut oil, olive oil, flaxseed oil (never use vegetable or canola oil)

I started a garden :) it helps me keep in shape and gives me fresh and organic for cheaper.

Anyways, if you choose to do the paleo.diet, i believe it can help you loose weight and gain energy (dh is responding well so far), but you can ease into it too. GL!
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Oh and to add,.dh is addicted to energy drinks, he is cutting those out slowly, same with cigarettes.
GoodyBrook
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM
2 moms liked this

There's a CM group called "Rhonda's Home Kitchen" where she has a lot of nice paleo-recipes...

And if you need to ease into it a bit, cut out white sugar and white flour.  Substitute them with anything else, and you'll instantly be healthier!

taurusmom88
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM

i've heard good things about the paleo diet, but i personally wouldn't be able to. i love cheese too much and i love grains. im trying to incorporate more grains into our diet instead of depending on wheat for our grain intake.  also little meat and more veggies. thats what i am doing to try to get into a healthier lifestyle.

SoCoRI
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I know this is not exactly what you asked about.... but the way you described yourself was me 4 years ago (except the soda). I saw a picture of myself and couldn't believe how big I was. My first DD was 1.5 and I was still breastfeeding and started Weight Watchers. The weight came off quickly and was manageable because you can still have bits of yummyness so you don't go crazy with nothing, I think very few people can eat nothing unhealthy - ever.

Anyway, I tracked what I ate for about 8 months and lost 55-60 pounds, most of that was within the first 5 months. I stopped tracking and never gained back weight. More than anything it taught me what I should be eating (low point foods - fruits, vegetables, lower carb foods) and correct portion size.

I have since had another baby and it took 9 months, but eating what I know is healthy and moderate portion sides I am back to 125! I also drink water like it's goin' out of style.

Anyway, I hope this was okay to throw out, like I said, it was like you could have been talking about me and all of these bagels and cereal I was eating!

Good luck!

jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM
I think it sounds like you need to start taking baby steps towards eating healthy. Paleo is not easy at all and it would be easy to jump right in and n completely backslide right into old habits. I would make small goals to make changes gradually.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)