Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Today is a big day! Update 1...Final Update!

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:28 AM
  • 18 Replies

Today is the day we decide what we are doing for the rest of our prenatal care and the birth!

I see my midwife today (the one who disagrees with my glucose test views) and my husband and I are going to have a LONG talk with her about the test and if there is any other way. I was told no by the reseptionist but I'm hoping maby the midwife will cut me a break. If not I want to know if we are truly on the same page with EVERYTHING else because if I do take the test and stay I don't want any surprises.

We also call a new midwife today who does homebirths BUT she is 45 min away and we don't have a car so she'd have to be willing to let us do our own prenatal care and just come to deliver the baby, which I think is a long shot. We are also asking her if she knows of anyone closer.

If both those options fail we will be doing our own prenatal care and getting ready for a planned UC!

Wish us luck and I'll be sure to update as to what happened :)

Hubby is talking to the homebirth midwife on the phone right now...she agrees that the fruit smoothie probably messed up my glucose test and it's silly to force me to take the 3 hour when I'm willing to do finger pricks. My husband is trying to set up a consultation now...then we need to run to our "old" midwifes for an appointment... I'll let you know more when we get back. 

(and yes I do feel updates are needed. lol)

Sorry it took me a while to update but we had A LOT of thinking to do! Our midwife who delivers at the birth center decided to work with us as is trying to find a way around the 3 hour test, plus the new midwife if willing to work with us so we had all 3 options to decide between. lol

After many pro's and con's lists, lot's of thought, and hours worth of talking with my husband we decided that we are switching to doing our own prenatal care and planning our very first UC :)

We are also have a consultation with the homebirth midwife sometime in the next week or so at our place when she comes to town for a birth. We don't think we'll be using her because she wants a $500 dollar deposit out of pocket incase she doesn't deliver the baby and I don't like the idea of paying her for a delivery she didn't do, we are meeting with her still though because if she'll waive the fee I do like the option of being able to have her on stand by if we get nervous last min and change our minds. 

So at this point we are planning a UC....I'm so excited!!!!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MacMamaof5
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Can't wait to hear about your decisions.  I haven't gone as far as a glucose test yet, but tomorrow will be a similar decision for us, too.  After tomorrow, I will probably start shopping for home birth items!  Can't wait!

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Hoping the best! Please update us!
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:14 PM

That's a wonderful update. 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Um yes I think updates are very much needed also :)

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Yay for that midwife agreeing with your DH! I hope it all works out! Let us know how it goes!
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I hope it all works out!

MacMamaof5
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Did it work out?

funhappymom
by Representative on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

What a great update. I'm so excited for you that your husband is board with having a UC if needed. Is this your first pregnancy?

3kidz123
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM

This is the 6th born and our 5th child. (the first baby was when I was young and he was given up for adoption to my mom, he's my little brother now technically)

So I've birthed 5 live and healthy babies in the past. Our last was a midwife assisted home birth so we do know what a home birth is like vs. a hospital birth. This would be the first UC but we live 5-10 min from 3 hospitals. The hospital 10 min away is a more natural hospital and where we would go if we no longer felt comfortable at home during labor and decided last min for a hospital birth. The one 5 min away is the one we'd go to for an emergency because it's closest and connected by a hallway to the third hospital with a level 4 NICU. We also will be doing weekly at home prenatal appointments and we just bought a fetoscope, pee sticks (for monitoring my urine), a stethoscope and blood pressure cup, a glucose meter kit for checking my sugar since I did fail my one hour glucose test, and a body measuring tape for doing weekly measurements. We already have a scale to keep an eye on my weight and we are getting my medical records from this pregnancy so that we can add my documentation from the home prenatal check ups to it...we'll keep that file in a safe place in case we need or want to go to the hospital for the birth.

We also plan to have an emergency kit for the birth just in case with everything we might need till an ambulance could get here including a tincture to stop bleeding if I were to have a problem with that. We will also have a hospital bag packed just in case, and a box for our home birth stuff including sterile supplies. Hubby and I will also be taking infant CPR at the local hospital next month.

Basically we have thought of everything and considered every possibility. Our back-up plans have back-up plans at this point. lol

Quoting funhappymom:

What a great update. I'm so excited for you that your husband is board with having a UC if needed. Is this your first pregnancy?

funhappymom
by Representative on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Wow, it sounds like you are prepared, lol. My husband would think I was crazy if I said I wanted to birth at home with just him and I (and our kids of course, lol). Amazing!!! Please keep us updated. How far along are you?

Quoting 3kidz123:

This is the 6th born and our 5th child. (the first baby was when I was young and he was given up for adoption to my mom, he's my little brother now technically)

So I've birthed 5 live and healthy babies in the past. Our last was a midwife assisted home birth so we do know what a home birth is like vs. a hospital birth. This would be the first UC but we live 5-10 min from 3 hospitals. The hospital 10 min away is a more natural hospital and where we would go if we no longer felt comfortable at home during labor and decided last min for a hospital birth. The one 5 min away is the one we'd go to for an emergency because it's closest and connected by a hallway to the third hospital with a level 4 NICU. We also will be doing weekly at home prenatal appointments and we just bought a fetoscope, pee sticks (for monitoring my urine), a stethoscope and blood pressure cup, a glucose meter kit for checking my sugar since I did fail my one hour glucose test, and a body measuring tape for doing weekly measurements. We already have a scale to keep an eye on my weight and we are getting my medical records from this pregnancy so that we can add my documentation from the home prenatal check ups to it...we'll keep that file in a safe place in case we need or want to go to the hospital for the birth.

We also plan to have an emergency kit for the birth just in case with everything we might need till an ambulance could get here including a tincture to stop bleeding if I were to have a problem with that. We will also have a hospital bag packed just in case, and a box for our home birth stuff including sterile supplies. Hubby and I will also be taking infant CPR at the local hospital next month.

Basically we have thought of everything and considered every possibility. Our back-up plans have back-up plans at this point. lol

Quoting funhappymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN