Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

purple line dilation question

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM
  • 11 Replies

Ok ladies I need some advice. A friend of mine and I have been talking and she said this is an easy way to check at home. Ok, TMI I went and checked and I have a dark purple line that runs all the way up. I haven't checked before now. I'm 41weeks 3 days and have been having contractions on and off for a week now. I've got a LOT of pressure and feel like something should be happening but my contractions just don't stick around.

Here is my question. Has anyone found this to be accurate? Or am I just the 10% that it doesn't work for? Could I have a purple line naturally?

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:36 PM

MOST people get a dark line going up, but the purple is different.its very purple.  Its been true for me every pregnancy.

motherofjb
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM

it's VERY purple. I wish I would have read about this before today and I would have kept an eye on it. Is there any other way for me to check? We ahve a 45 min drive to my midwife to deliver and I dont want to have baby in the car lol. I'm having contractions (I SUCK at timing them). With every contraction I have pressure in my pelvise/cervix area. this is my second child but I feel like with my first I was so stressed from my husband being in Afghanistan and not being able to reach him that I don't remember the feelings of labor

Quoting tabi_cat1023I:

MOST people get a dark line going up, but the purple is different.its very purple.  Its been true for me every pregnancy.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Do you have a smart phone? there are contraction timing apps on there!!

You can try to check yourself...

motherofjb
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:43 PM

it seems like I can't tell when they start and when they finish. Or it seems like they run together. I have an app for contractions but they just seem so off. I don't know.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM
I used an app! Press button at start of co traction, press button at stop.

However, I dont know much about the purple line....sorry.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Monkiebut
by Tiffany on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:13 AM
What is the purple line thing? I've never heard of it
nikzup03
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol. I just checked myself because I'm on day two of week 38 with twins and I'm dying here! But definitely a dark purple line, mine was pretty long, but i don't know how to measure it, not that is matters much im not in labor yet. last time I was curious like 3 weeks ago, there was nothing. I'm so ready to go into labor.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Never heard of that

sm12
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I read that when the purple line is all to the way to the top then you're super close to having the baby or at 10cm.

"The Purple Line or Bottom Line

This is a purple/dark line that shows up and extends well, to put it delicately, along your natal cleft. Or rather – your butt crack. The line starts at the anus and moves up the cleft. When it is all the way to the top, you are 10cm. Normally – you do have a bit of a line there. But this Purple Line or Bottom Line is not he line that is normally there (which is usually pink). This is a dark purple line. My suggestion is to check out your bum in early pregnancy so that you know the difference."

http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/2013/06/06/alternative-methods-of-checking-dilation-the-purple-line-and-more/

I did  not know about this method until last month and definitely going to keep a look out for it.  TMI but I am going to take a pic of my bottom to compare to when i am in labor.

3kidz123
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Here's a pic I found for those wondering what it is...

It's supose to go along with dialation and be 10cm when you are, I personally have never seen mine before (never looked for it) but plan to this time around.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)