Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Ways to treat a Staph Infection?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:54 PM
  • 9 Replies

My sister's index finger is swollen like a balloon.  She has a red line running from her armpit to her elbow.  The MD she saw today believe it's a staph infection and gave her some medication.  (She already had antibiotics via a drip at the ER last night). She has instructions to return tomorrow if the swelling isn't significantly better.

What can be done for a staph infection to treat it naturally?  (Obviously in addition to what is being done for her by the local doc).  Are there EO options?  Herbs?

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:57 PM

My friend uses compresses to treat hers I need to find out what she uses..I now charcoal is part of it

katielovesyou21
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM

put the area that has staph in as hot as water as she can stand it and force it to pop. let all the pus drain then put antibiotic cream and a bandaid. all surfaces that come in contact need to be sterlized the tubs and showers have to be bleached after each of her uses and all her bed clothes and clothes fromt he infection need to be washed in hot water.

sjk_maybe_mom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM
if there are any sores she can apply tea tree oil directly to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Magnolia7
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

We are all colonized with staph.  The problem is when it becomes out of balance, especially when it's a resistant strain of staph.  My husband and I figure that we and our family must be colonized with MRSA due to our careers in healthcare. 

It's important to keep a strong immune system.  Sleep well (I have a 2 month old ... this advice makes me giggle), stay hydrated, eat well, take probiotics/eat fermented foods.  Just say no to anything antibacterial and antibiotics when not absolutely necessary!  When you have breaks in the skin be sure to wash with soap and water and treat with a bit of coconut oil with tea tree oil. 

If I had a staph infected wound/pustule I would: use a hot compress to draw out as much drainage as possible; cleanse with soap and water frequently; soak in saline (salt water) daily; apply coconut oil with tea tree and lavender EO.  In addition, supplement with vitamin C, zinc, MSM, vitamin D.  I would use sunlight as much as possible for the vitamin D, including exposing the wound to the UV light.  Lots of rest, lots of fluids, add more probiotics/fermented foods and cut out sugar. 

I would also look into using honey or sugar to dress the wound.  The sugar draws fluid out of the wound, creating an enviroment where bacteria can no longer thrive.  There are a few promising studies on this.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM

bump

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Quoting Magnolia7:

We are all colonized with staph.  The problem is when it becomes out of balance, especially when it's a resistant strain of staph.  My husband and I figure that we and our family must be colonized with MRSA due to our careers in healthcare. 

It's important to keep a strong immune system.  Sleep well (I have a 2 month old ... this advice makes me giggle), stay hydrated, eat well, take probiotics/eat fermented foods.  Just say no to anything antibacterial and antibiotics when not absolutely necessary!  When you have breaks in the skin be sure to wash with soap and water and treat with a bit of coconut oil with tea tree oil. 

If I had a staph infected wound/pustule I would: use a hot compress to draw out as much drainage as possible; cleanse with soap and water frequently; soak in saline (salt water) daily; apply coconut oil with tea tree and lavender EO.  In addition, supplement with vitamin C, zinc, MSM, vitamin D.  I would use sunlight as much as possible for the vitamin D, including exposing the wound to the UV light.  Lots of rest, lots of fluids, add more probiotics/fermented foods and cut out sugar. 

I would also look into using honey or sugar to dress the wound.  The sugar draws fluid out of the wound, creating an enviroment where bacteria can no longer thrive.  There are a few promising studies on this.

Thanks, I'll have to look into this...

Because she is being seen by a rural family doc who's primary experience is in pediatrics and gynecology, she'll likely get referred out.  What kind of a doctor is best educated to treat staph infections?  (Or is this something that anyone in the medical field can do?  The red line from her elbow to armpit has me worried, but I've not seen it personally).

H.I.S.
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Tea tree oil, as strong as you can find it...apply 2-3'x times/day STRAIGHT, no carrier. I treated my newborn son's MRSA with TTO when the antibiotics no longer worked. Good luck!

Lilypie - (VOWJ)

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:10 PM

That is wonderful to know, thank you!

Quoting Magnolia7:

Magnolia7
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:52 PM

There are actually wound care doctors and nurses who specialize  in serious wounds.  Most likely they will want to do very strong IV antibiotics.  If there is anything to be drained that will be incised, drained and dressed.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting Magnolia7:

Thanks, I'll have to look into this...

Because she is being seen by a rural family doc who's primary experience is in pediatrics and gynecology, she'll likely get referred out.  What kind of a doctor is best educated to treat staph infections?  (Or is this something that anyone in the medical field can do?  The red line from her elbow to armpit has me worried, but I've not seen it personally).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)