Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Hospital Mother/ Child rights update

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:31 AM
  • 7 Replies

I posted a while ago about hospital rights.  I live in Lubbock TX, and there are two options for birth.

1.  Covenant Hospital with an OBGYN

2. The medical center at Texas Tech with a resident doctor

There are no midwives in town, or anywhere within a 3 hours drive.  There are no birth centers, and the only way to do a home birth is to do it yourself.

I hate the hospital!

Anyway, I talked to my OB who said if everything went as expected he thought he could talk to the charge nurse and have me out in under 24 hours, and I believe him so I'm happy. He delivered my last baby and I think he's about as good as you can get around here.

I just thought I'd share!

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Glad your dr will work with you.

funhappymom
by Representative on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

It's so important that you have a good doctor if you need to birth in a hospital. It sounds like this one is good.

I went in with my second son and said I had to be out within 24 hours. My insurance co-pay was $250/night for each of us. We didn't want to pay for 2 days. The doctor and hospital were very good about discharging us on time. Make sure when you go in for delivery that the nurses are aware also. There is no need for mom and baby to be there longer unless there are complications.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Sounds like a good deal..hopefully everything goes the way the doctor says it will

GoodyBrook
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

You can always check out AMA (against medical advice) whenever you want.  If your doc is on board, who cares if it upsets the hospital!  I've never done it, but I know they'll ask you to sign some forms that essentially release them from any liability if anything happens to you and babe while they think you should be under their care...

You DO have the option of an Unassisted Childbirth at home.  :)

ReeseStrickland
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I actually have no health insurance at all, so it's all out of pocket.  I don't want anyone to think I'm leaving to be cheap, but if me and baby are okay I'd rather go get a really nice hotel for half the price and stay the night there!

GoodyBrook
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Quoting ReeseStrickland:

I actually have no health insurance at all, so it's all out of pocket.  I don't want anyone to think I'm leaving to be cheap, but if me and baby are okay I'd rather go get a really nice hotel for half the price and stay the night there!

You can call the billing department after the bill arrives and request an application for financial assistance...  Based on your income, they'll reduce the amount you have to pay.  (I have health insurance and they still knock off a bit from my deductible).

ReeseStrickland
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM

They don't do that here, but they automatically take 40% off everything if you pay at the time of service which is a huge help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN