Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Vaginal probe ultrasound

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM
  • 23 Replies

So I met my OB today.  She was nice, but I got some red flags that will not send me back.  She said that they are going to do a vaginal ultrasound to check and see if I am at risk for preterm labor----that is a warning sign that the doctor has a high c-section rate in case you didn't know.  She also said that they have only been doing that ultrasound in the office for two months.  

What do you think?  Am I going to have a hard time finding a practice out there that isn't participating in this?  I asked about the offices c-section rate and she said she wasn't sure about her office, but the hospital is 35 percent. But then said that is typical for Michigan.  I think that's high!

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newwifenmom
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I say if you feel uncomfortable find an different OB or if possible go the midwife route.

alc4evermom
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I was completely horrified by two midwifery offices in NC so I ended up with a doctor I liked.  Unfortunately, I'm in Michigan now.  I don't care for group practices in general. 

Quoting newwifenmom:

I say if you feel uncomfortable find an different OB or if possible go the midwife route.

newwifenmom
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, okay. Well maybe if you can not find another OB you could stick with her at least for a little while and make it clear to her what your wishes are. You can refuse ultrasounds, this may not always please the doctor but its not him/her who you are trying to please here.

Quoting alc4evermom:

I was completely horrified by two midwifery offices in NC so I ended up with a doctor I liked.  Unfortunately, I'm in Michigan now.  I don't care for group practices in general. 

Quoting newwifenmom:

3kidz123
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

How about home birth or a birth center?

alc4evermom
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I'm not having a home birth, and our nearest birthing center is sixty miles away!  I think there may be a closer one and I am actually trying to find it right now lol. We passed it on our way to Lansing last week.

taurusmom88
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM

35 is very high, but sadly normal. hope you can find a place or a dr that you like.

CatFishMom
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:04 PM

You do realize that they can suggest a c-section all they want but you cant be forced to have one. Beyond that, it's standard at my office-and my friend up north told me the same for hers-to do the vaginal ultrasound at about eight weeks (I think) and theyve never used it for anything but to measure the baby and tell me my due date (which I already knew because I knew when I conceived). Ive never once had any of my doctors at the group I use suggest a cesarean or say anything about preterm labor, and definitely not based on that ultrasound. But if you dont like the doctor, you need to find a new one. I wouldnt base the choice only on that one ultrasound, but thats just me.

hapababies
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I had a vaginal ultrasound at 8 weeks, but that was to check to see if my first son was viable (I had some implantation bleeding that made me nervous).

I would say try this ob one more time, if you get an uneasy or uncomfortable feeling from her, find someone else.  At you next visit start discussing what you want in your birth plan.  If she is open to it, that's a good sign.  If she says something along the lines of "those things never work out" or brushes you off, then it's a sign to move on.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Ask her these questions:
Why do you suspect I may be at risk for preterm labor?
Are there other ways of checking?
What happens if the US shows I am risk?

I would not have a vag US, they are too risky IMO for just routine nonsense.

I personally would not be comfortable wih the practice if they fight you on declining.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Where were you in NC? Midwife laws here are very very strange an that causes loads of issue.

As far as the U/S.   YOu can refuse any test or exam you want basically.  Now the doctors can refuse to see you, though they have to give you 30 days to find a new doctor and cant do it within 30 days of your due date, but still.

Quoting alc4evermom:

Quoting newwifenmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)