Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What do you consider local honey?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM
  • 15 Replies

I live in a pretty rural area. I found honey yesterday at our local natural store that is raw but it's from a bee farm that is about an hour away (roughly 45-60 miles). Would you consider that local?

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM
The reason local honey is recommended is because its made with the plants and pollen in your area and strengthens your immune system against those allergens thus relieving allergies. So if the plant life is the same, then yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

within an hour..yeah thats local enough for me...

EarlGrayHot
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Yes.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I have to travel two hours to get mine so ya I consider that local lol I sometimes wish that the guy that was in the same town still had honey bees but now where we get it from is in the area we plan to move to so it works out. 

LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM
I buy mine from a cute little family that live in our neighboring town about 10 minutes away. I would definitely say within an hour is local.
larissalarie
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Ours comes from a place within a mile or so, but yes 50 miles is still local unless there's a, significant difference in the vegitation(unlikely)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funhappymom
by Representative on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jellyphish:

The reason local honey is recommended is because its made with the plants and pollen in your area and strengthens your immune system against those allergens thus relieving allergies. So if the plant life is the same, then yes.

That is one of the reasons why I wanted raw was for the allergy reasons. Vegetation is pretty much the same. Thanks :)

I'm hoping that maybe by using honey more frequently I can cut back on the allergies that we deal with in our family.

PookiePanda
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Yes.

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I would consider that local! 

Aslen
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Within an 8-10 mile radius
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)