Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need some ideas for getting my DD in her own bed.. *update (for those interested)

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM
  • 22 Replies
2 moms liked this

my DD is 3 years old and sleeps in bed with us.  i want to get her to sleep in her own bed, especially cause i'm pregnant and due soonish.  Anyone have any ideas on how to get her into her own bed with minimal traumatization? lol.  our typical routine is book reading and then i sit with her till she falls asleep in my bed. i'm perfectly ok with staying with her till she falls asleep at least at the beginning. Any thoughts or ideas would be super helpful :)

**Last night, i made a bedtime chart for DD. I told her that every night she sleeps in her bed, she gets a sticker. once she has seven stickers, she gets a prize of her choosing (within reason, of course.) much like a potty chart. Worked like a charm! It helps that her bed is in my room.. not a HUGE transition.  I tucked her into her bed and went and sat on my bed till she fell asleep.  Very little resistance, no crying and she was asleep within minutes.  She woke up once during the night and i went to her.. turned out she had to go potty (something she's never done in the middle of the night before!) and then got back in her own bed and went back to sleep! thanks for all of your responses!!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:01 PM

We snuggle in our bed then I let him nurse if he wants, then he falls asleep and we move him to his bed...if you think moving to a different rom would be scary at first put a toddler bed in your room

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

You could try reading the story and sitting with her until she falls asleep in her bed instead of your bed.

Amycapl
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:11 AM

Her bed's already in our room, so that shouldn't be hard lol :)

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

We snuggle in our bed then I let him nurse if he wants, then he falls asleep and we move him to his bed...if you think moving to a different rom would be scary at first put a toddler bed in your room

CafeMom Tickers
jbyrd898
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I just gradually started both of us falling asleep in his room when my son was about 19 months old. Then I would leave and come back as necessary. It worked for us.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this
In addition, you can have her pick out a special plush toy that stays on her bed, it can't go anywhere else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedMammaof2
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
With my two year old we did our usual bedtime routine. Bath (every other night), pajamas, brush teeth, read books, and nurse. When we got to the books and nursing we just no longer went to our bedroom. We took him to his room. We read books with him in our laps on the floor or while he laid in bed. I then nursed him in my lap. Daddy helped read books too. He left the room afterward. After nursing I laid him in bed and said goodnight. I sat quietly in the floor across the room. He got up a few times at first and I would calmly tell him to get back in bed. I never put him back in bed. It was surprisingly easy. He fussed very little. I still sit in his room until he's asleep. He is typically out in less than five minutes.
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM

My eldest (26 months now)  is still very much a binkie addict.  But we've set boundaries, and he can only have it when he's in his carseat or in his own bed.  He actually gets excited when it's bedtime because he knows he gets to have it.

How's the pregnancy going so far?  Everything still on track for your VBAC?

Amycapl
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM

So far so good! Only problems are mild anemia and low blood pressure. 5 (ish) weeks to go!

Quoting GoodyBrook:

My eldest (26 months now)  is still very much a binkie addict.  But we've set boundaries, and he can only have it when he's in his carseat or in his own bed.  He actually gets excited when it's bedtime because he knows he gets to have it.

CafeMom Tickers
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I moved my son to his own bed and then came back if he woke up. He had a bed in our room so he transitioned pretty well. You can also talk about it a lot and how you will come to her if she wakes up etc. Good luck!

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck!!

Quoting Amycapl:

So far so good! Only problems are mild anemia and low blood pressure. 5 (ish) weeks to go!

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)