Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

chia seeds

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM
  • 19 Replies

I finally gave in and spent the money on some. I love them and can actually feel a difference in my energy levels!

Share your recipes for using them!

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:10 PM
LOL. I throw them in a lot of stuff like smothies.

I swear I don't drink often but if you do. Before you go to bed after drinking, take 2 table spoons and you'll feel great in the morning. LOL. No hangover.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
May-mom
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Refrigerator jam: 1 1/3 cups strawberries (or other berries), 2/3 cup rhubarb, 2 TBS chia seeds, 2 TBS honey (or to taste). Blend in a blender and refrigerate overnight. The chia seeds make it thicken apparently. Its pretty yummy and I'm sure you could experiment with other fruits!
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I'll blend them into anything I make, like my spelt pancakes or a smoothie or even my cakes and cookies.  There's nothing you can't add them to!

Simply soak them in fresh juice for an hour or so, and you'll have a fun "bubble" drink. 

schultzal
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:49 AM
I might try this with grapes, since I can't get grape jam in this country. Thanks!

Quoting May-mom:

Refrigerator jam: 1 1/3 cups strawberries (or other berries), 2/3 cup rhubarb, 2 TBS chia seeds, 2 TBS honey (or to taste). Blend in a blender and refrigerate overnight. The chia seeds make it thicken apparently. Its pretty yummy and I'm sure you could experiment with other fruits!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michellefrogs
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Chia seed pudding. 1/4 cup chia seeds, 2 cups milk of choice ( I use almond), couple tablespoons of sweetener of choice ( honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar), tbs of vanilla extract for vanilla or about 2 tablespoons cocoa powder for chocolate.Let sit in refrigerator for at least 4 hours, stirring about 2 hours in. I top the chocolate with bananas and walnuts. If the bananas are ripe enough I cut down on the sweetener and kind of mash the banana in the pudding. You can google more recipes. There was one that was chocolate and berries. The pudding has a strange, addictive texture! 

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Ooh thanks I might try this!

Quoting May-mom:

AspensMama1537
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I put some in my smoothie every morning. They are seriously my new favorite food! Lol.
Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I've seen some similar recipes. Does it turn out lumpy like tapioca?

Quoting michellefrogs:

Chia seed pudding. 1/4 cup chia seeds, 2 cups milk of choice ( I use almond), couple tablespoons of sweetener of choice ( honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar), tbs of vanilla extract for vanilla or about 2 tablespoons cocoa powder for chocolate.Let sit in refrigerator for at least 4 hours, stirring about 2 hours in. I top the chocolate with bananas and walnuts. If the bananas are ripe enough I cut down on the sweetener and kind of mash the banana in the pudding. You can google more recipes. There was one that was chocolate and berries. The pudding has a strange, addictive texture! 

momma4xover
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I love chia seeds- really yummy on yogurt too! or in homemade granola. :) I like to just eat them plain also- I am odd I know!

michellefrogs
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 9:29 AM

No it's not lumpy but it's not smooth like pudding either. I haven't had tapioca pudding in years so I'm not sure if it's like that. It's very good though!

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I've seen some similar recipes. Does it turn out lumpy like tapioca?

Quoting michellefrogs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)