Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

lemon balm in lemonade? update with recipe in OP

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM
  • 18 Replies
2 moms liked this

Thinking about making tea with my fresh lemon balm leaves, letting it cool to room temp and using it as a lemonade base so I can add less lemon juice and have a slightly different flavor with extra health benefits. Anyone ever tried this?

Update:
I adjusted the recipe in one of the posts below and came up with this. Definitely going to make it again!

I mixed 2 tablespoons fresh lemon balm leaves (crushed) with 1 cup boiling water and let it steep until the water was room temp. Drained the leaves, poured into a 12 oz glass with 1 TB lemon juice, a few drops of stevia, and filled it to the top with water.

I think I like it better than regular lemonade - still lemony, but not sour and has a sweet, herbal aftertaste.

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:16 PM
No. But tell me about lemon balm please. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sweetheart08
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:50 AM
wats lemon balm
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:06 AM
I've never heard of lemon balm either and dh likes lemonade, but I haven't found a recipe he likes yet. Tell me more please.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
schultzal
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:17 AM
I know what lemon balm is, but I've not heard of making lemonade with it. It's super tasty in tea and in some types of curry. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
schultzal
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:18 AM
I found this by googling: http://creativelyhomemade.wordpress.com/2013/04/26/april-lemon-balm-lemonade/

Sounds delicious!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM

It's an herb with medicinal qualities. It has a sweet lemony-herbal small and flavor.

Quoting Sweetheart08:

wats lemon balm

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Thanks for the link! I adjusted it a little and made a glass today. SO good! Now I'm kicking myself for cutting back my plant and dehydrating most of it last night!

Quoting schultzal:

I found this by googling: http://creativelyhomemade.wordpress.com/2013/04/26/april-lemon-balm-lemonade/

Sounds delicious!

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm still learning about it but what I know so far is that it's used as a relaxant/de-stresser and for indigestion. It's also added to a lot of prenatal tea blends with RRL, nettle, etc.

I got a plant at Trader Joe's because I like the scent and now I wish I had more!

Quoting jellyphish:

No. But tell me about lemon balm please. :)

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I've never liked the cheap lemon teas but this one with just lemon balm was really good.

Do you have a recipe for using it in curry?

Quoting schultzal:

I know what lemon balm is, but I've not heard of making lemonade with it. It's super tasty in tea and in some types of curry. :)

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:32 PM

The tea by itself it really good and moderately lemon-y but I posted the recipe I made today in the OP. I loved it.

Quoting polkaspots:

I've never heard of lemon balm either and dh likes lemonade, but I haven't found a recipe he likes yet. Tell me more please.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN