Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Need baby girl name advice

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM
  • 17 Replies

I decided months ago to name my baby girl (due in 2 wks) Alia. I have a very ethnic and spirtiual name which has definietly influenced aspects of my life and wanted the same for my daughter. Alia is a female version of Allah and has noble and exalted meanings in Arabic, Hebrew, German to name a few.

Of course, now that we have started to disclose her name, I am getting feedback that is giving me doubts, i.e. celebrities with the name, how 'popular' it is getting, different spellings and rhyming names (Dahlia, Talia) that will drive my daughter nuts as she gets older.

My husband and I are VERY disconnected from pop culture (we work in international fields, don't watch TV etc..) and regret not looking into the name Jaden- after our favorite healing stone- prior to giving that to our son. We had no idea there would be 5 other Jaden, Cayden, Hayden, Adien's in his daycare class & it causes him a lot of confusion.

Am I freaking out over nothing? I have other favorites:

2. Naliya

3. Mahima

4. Nalani

5. Moxie

Thoughts?

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM
3 moms liked this
I think you should go with what you like and forget everyone else.
This is the reason I did not disclose the names I was considering for my second child until she was born. I got tons of flack for names we considered for our first and it pissed me off and I didn't want to deal with that again.

She's your child, not anyone else's, and certainly not pop culture's.

GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:55 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm pretty up on my pop culture, I DEFINITELY keep up on what names are popular right now, and I've never heard of that name. Yeah, Jaden is super trendy, but not Alia. And I highly doubt you'll find any name that no other name in the world rhymes with, but the names you listed as rhyming aren't exactly common either. I think you're making an issue outta nothing and the hardest part about the name you've selected is people not knowing how to pronounce it correctly :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
igotheart
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Dahlia and Talia still aren't very common at all, especially not for kids born these days, so I think you should stick with the name you guys love. If anything eople will probably spell it/pronounce it Aaliyah since that seems to be a bit more common.
Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I like Alia. I knew a little girl with that name when I was growing up and I thought it was really pretty.

I say pick a name you like.

LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Stick with it. It's such a beautiful name.
positiveNRG
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Thank you all for calming my fears =)

I was definitely having a freak out moment with a few comments from people I was not expecting comments from.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 12, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a school teacher and I promise not mant spell it that way..I have heaerd the name often but no more often than other names...I like it alot dont stress about how many others MAY have it

bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Alia is a beautiful name that you and your husband love!! Go with it and disregard what others think:)
MomsLilMonkey
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I like "Moxie" it sounds like a kid with her hands on her hips with her head tilted giving you "That Look" type of attitude ;) LOL

Indiemom880
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:16 PM
2 moms liked this

None of those girls names you listed are popular right now!

But one thing you should consider: just because you are bothered by having a common name doesn't mean your child will be. You want everything to be different, but I had a different name and it bothered me. I wanted to be one of the sea of Jennifers and Lindsays. It's not necessarily a good thing to be different or a bad to be the same! You say there is confusion with your son...it's possible you're overestimating his discomfort. My daughter loves finding girls with the same name as her.

Alia is a very beautiful name and if you love it, I say go for it.

The other ones you listed: cute, but consider how well she'll fit in with her peers. You don't want the name to feel like a burden to her and kids can be cruel . Also think of how well it will look on a resume. An employer may not take a "Moxie" very seriously. They have done studies on this and people with unusual or ethnic names are less likely to get callbacks than people with more common names. You may have the attitude that people shouldn't judge someone on their name (and they shouldn't), but it's also important to be a realist and not burden your child unnecessarily. Also, it could seriously be annoying to your child to be constantly pronouncing/spelling your name for people or explaining where it came from. I want to be known for me, not my unusual name. Consider these things when you are deciding :-)

Congrats on your baby! Hope all goes well! :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)