Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Severe tailbone pain! RELIEF?? (Desperate and cross-posted in other groups.)

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM
  • 18 Replies

Does anyone have any suggestions for severe tailbone pain relief??  Baby girl has been head down for over a month and is causing tons of pressure and sharp pains down there for the last month and a half.  My tailbone pain started about that time, but the intensity/frequency of the pain has increased over the last 4 days.

I do not take meds and would definitely prefer not to during pregnancy.  Heat pads, baths, and massages from hubby are no longer helping.  I feel I have a high pain tolerance, but this is getting to be too much.  I have 6-7 wks left bf edd, and I would appreciate any advice and relief I can get!

Thanks so much,Megan!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Bounce on a birthing ball
Chiro
Professional massage
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meg4763
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Thank you! I actually need to get my birthing ball this week! I have considered going to the chiropractor, but the idea of "adjusting and popping" my spinal area, especially while pregnant, really scares me. I would love a professional massage,  but that would be even more expensive, and I would probably want to go way too much. :)  I think I will buy the ball within a few days and try that!

Quoting jellyphish:

Bounce on a birthing ball
Chiro
Professional massage

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM

That ^^ plus squats and yoga. 

I'm Mary married(since 10-5-08) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008), Caidence(2010), Baby3 (2013). Christian, SAHM, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, Natural birthing, holistic loving, AP, ERF & EH, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

igotheart
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM
A maternity support belt should help. I have the Gabrialla one and it has relieved some of the pressure from my back.
meg4763
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Thank you all! I do lightly exercise about 3x a week consisting of arm weights, push ups, and squats. I like yoga, so I may try that as well.  

meg4763
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Do you think/know if the maternity belt can double as like a postpartum girdle? The ones I have seen are pretty pricey, but it maybe worth it with all of this pain.

Quoting igotheart:

A maternity support belt should help. I have the Gabrialla one and it has relieved some of the pressure from my back.

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I definitely recommend chiropractor. Find a webster-certified one who has experience with pregnancy.

I did chiro during pregnancy #2 and not during #1 and it made a huge different. My sacrum was popping in and out of position which was causing a lot of pain and the chiro could fix it every time.

Swimming can give some temporary relief too.

meg4763
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Thanks! The only reservation I have about going to the chiropractor is I've heard that once you start going you can't stop bc the pain will get worse. I also know people who swear by them helping, but I can't afford to go all of the time. I may give in and go if the pain gets much worse and all of the alternatives don't provide much relief.  Swimming definitely helps when I have access to a pool.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I definitely recommend chiropractor. Find a webster-certified one who has experience with pregnancy.

I did chiro during pregnancy #2 and not during #1 and it made a huge different. My sacrum was popping in and out of position which was causing a lot of pain and the chiro could fix it every time.

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM

A skilled chiropractor should be able to teach you exercises you can do to strengthen the muscles in your trouble spots to hold the bones in alignment. Some of them are physically impossible during pregnancy but can be done postpartum.

It's also great for helping with fetal positioning :)

Quoting meg4763:

Thanks! The only reservation I have about going to the chiropractor is I've heard that once you start going you can't stop bc the pain will get worse. I also know people who swear by them helping, but I can't afford to go all of the time. I may give in and go if the pain gets much worse and all of the alternatives don't provide much relief.  Swimming definitely helps when I have access to a pool.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

meg4763
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I am not completely closed off to the idea, just a little nervous since I've never been to one before. Thankfully baby girl is in the optimal fetal position already and has been for over a month now. I would be upset if she flipped now, but ob said that is highly unlikely since she is very far down already.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

A skilled chiropractor should be able to teach you exercises you can do to strengthen the muscles in your trouble spots to hold the bones in alignment. Some of them are physically impossible during pregnancy but can be done postpartum.

It's also great for helping with fetal positioning :)

Quoting meg4763:

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)