Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

When will my LO sleep through the night?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 12 Replies

My LO is not a long sleeper, he prefers short naps.  When will he sleep longer? What can I do to get him to sleep longer?  He's a little over 6 months old.

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:50 PM
STTN as in five hours? Could happen anytime.
STTN as in all night? Not until after a year. Baby brains are not capable of sleeping like adults and do not develop that ability until at least a year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I wouldn't expect it before the toddler years, but definitely not before a year. Babies aren't wired to sleep for long periods of time. In fact, adults really aren't either. :) It does get easier with time though! :) 

littlelambe2
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Mwah ha ha... Never!

I'm only kidding. But it sure seems that way. Sleeping through the night is technically one 5 hour stretch. Once. Then they've met that milestone. My first sttn (1 five hr stretch, then up again every 1-2 hrs)  for one glorious week when she was 9 months old. She didn't sleep from being put down until morning, until she was over 2. 

My second, slept a five hour stretch at 2 months. At 4.5 months she had a couple nights of 8 hr stretches. Now, at 8.5 months, she's waking every 2-4 hours. We did nothing different with this baby. Still EBF, bed share, nurse to sleep, etc. every baby is different. The first year is the hardest. 

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this
There's no way to know for sure, every child is different.
My oldest slept 6 hours at night from birth, and truly all night by 6 weeks. My next child was up 10+ times a night the entire first year and didn't start STTN somewhat regularly until age 2, lol. My third was between those 2 extremes and slept 7 hour stretches between 2 & 4 months, then regressed to being up every hour (or more!) and didn't get back to sleeping 7 hours until he was 7-8 months and didn't quit waking up in the night until after he was 1.

I wasn't doing anything differently, the babies were just different :-)
All you can do is provide consistency and wait for baby to get there. Try to treasure every second, you'll miss it one of these days!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Depends entirely on the child. My older child didn't sleep all night until he was almost 2.5 and weaned.

My younger child has been sleeping 6 hours or more since he was six weeks old.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:23 AM

DS1 ate every 2 to 3 hours around the clock, sleep be damned, until he was a little over 12 months.  (We weaned him to bottles of expressed BM during night time feedings (yeah, dad!), so I could get to sleep because I was going to SNAP!)

I find that bedsharing is our family's best option for a good night's sleep for all of us. 

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jul. 13, 2013 at 2:14 AM
This. Every kid is different!

Quoting jellyphish:

STTN as in five hours? Could happen anytime.

STTN as in all night? Not until after a year. Baby brains are not capable of sleeping like adults and do not develop that ability until at least a year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:46 AM
I agree with all the above!
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 7:05 AM
When he's ready :)
Dd didn't start consistently sleep through the night until a couple months ago when she night weaned (she's 2).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Not for a year, at least that's how my kids were.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)