Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teething help? EOs?

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM
  • 8 Replies

It's been awhile since the first kiddo cut teeth, and I don't remember the frantic crying and grabbing of the back of the neck.  :(

We have an amber necklace, and I'm using Hyland's.  Gonna freeze some breast  milk for his mesh feeder, but what else can I do for the pain?

He's EBF (6 months old), so I really don't want to do clove EO and carrier oil on the gums--afraid it'd knock his taste buds out of wack!!!

Are there any EOs I can apply topically on the back of his neck to help with pain?

by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Do NOT apply EOs orally!! Especially clove, it bother me that that's common advice and I'm glad you're not doing it. It's not safe!

You can try applying the blend on his face over the jaw, but I doubt that'll be effective enough and you'll have to watch his hands.
What you CAN do is rub a whole clove between two fingers until a little oil is released and rub that on his gums.
If the hylands isn't working you can try a different brand. Borion is different and worked for my first, hylands worked for my second who had pains at night and couldn't sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RADmomma
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM
I hope you find something. We're going through the same thing & you already tried my suggestions...
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM

aww hope the teeth break through soon.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jellyphish:

Do NOT apply EOs orally!! Especially clove, it bother me that that's common advice and I'm glad you're not doing it. It's not safe!

You can try applying the blend on his face over the jaw, but I doubt that'll be effective enough and you'll have to watch his hands.
What you CAN do is rub a whole clove between two fingers until a little oil is released and rub that on his gums.
If the hylands isn't working you can try a different brand. Borion is different and worked for my first, hylands worked for my second who had pains at night and couldn't sleep.

Thanks for letting me know not to take clove oil on the gums.  It was suggested by the ND, and I questioned her on it and she insisted it was fine, despite the "warning" on the label...  (Hmmm.  Maybe I'd better find a new ND?)

I was thinking of putting clove oil in a carrier on his cheeks, but wasn' sure...  I like your suggestion about the actual clove, though!  (Now to find where I put them after Christma baking!)

I actually put Boiron Arica gel on the back of his skull after I posted the question, and he stopped crying and went to sleep.  Not sure if that did the trick, so I'l try it again with the next crying jag.  I didn't know that they also make teething tablets!  Thanks!

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Argh! I'm pretty sure NDs don't typically study EOs since they're not considered medicine. I'd also check your state laws about NDs, most states don't require accreditation or licensure, and there are only five schools that are accredited. You can check naturopathic.org for state laws and for a directory of accredited NDs. (Not every accredited dr is on the directory, but everyone who is on it is accredited.)

Anyway yes, clove is awesome for oral pain, but it is waaaaaaaaaay too strong for an infant orally. It's just too high in phenols which is a skin irritant which causes burning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:22 AM

My SIL just told  me today that her family puts lavendar EO on baby's gums during teething...  Any opinion on that?  (Or should ALL EOs not be used internally?)

Quoting jellyphish:

Argh! I'm pretty sure NDs don't typically study EOs since they're not considered medicine. I'd also check your state laws about NDs, most states don't require accreditation or licensure, and there are only five schools that are accredited. You can check naturopathic.org for state laws and for a directory of accredited NDs. (Not every accredited dr is on the directory, but everyone who is on it is accredited.)

Anyway yes, clove is awesome for oral pain, but it is waaaaaaaaaay too strong for an infant orally. It's just too high in phenols which is a skin irritant which causes burning.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:43 AM
First, lavender oil tastes nasty.
Second, it's not a pain reliever.
Third, no oils orally in an infant! They're too powerful and can mess up baby's virgin gut.

But why lav? It has nothing to offer on a teething baby in the mouth. It may calm him down and help him sleep, but you put it on his feet for that.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

My SIL just told  me today that her family puts lavendar EO on baby's gums during teething...  Any opinion on that?  (Or should ALL EOs not be used internally?)

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I was told the same thing! I'm glad I never did it. I just didn't feel comfortable without knowing much about it.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting jellyphish:

Thanks for letting me know not to take clove oil on the gums.  It was suggested by the ND, and I questioned her on it and she insisted it was fine, despite the "warning" on the label...  (Hmmm.  Maybe I'd better find a new ND?)

I was thinking of putting clove oil in a carrier on his cheeks, but wasn' sure...  I like your suggestion about the actual clove, though!  (Now to find where I put them after Christma baking!)

I actually put Boiron Arica gel on the back of his skull after I posted the question, and he stopped crying and went to sleep.  Not sure if that did the trick, so I'l try it again with the next crying jag.  I didn't know that they also make teething tablets!  Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)