Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I'm scared, advice please. Torticollis UPDATE!!!

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:11 PM
  • 12 Replies
Update: my DD does have Torticollis,, her doctor referred us to an occupational therapist that I should hear from Monday. I googled massages to do for her and she is already doing so much better. Thanks for the help ladies

So today was the home school book fair here in town. DH and I went together, Abi was in her wrap. She fell asleep and her head leaning to her left like it always does. I had a vendor ask me if her head always did that. I told her yes, since she was a little baby. She told me we should go talk to the chiropractor, who also has a booth, since the chiropractor had told her how one of her twins had a crooked neck because of the way she was laying in the womb.

So we went to the chiropractors booth and i told her what the other vendor said. She said that her daughter was like that because her sister was on top of her and that made her have a crook in her neck when she was little. She asked if she asked if her head always went to the left like that, i told her yes, since she was born and if you try to fix it, she moves it right back, even if she's sleeping.

She said it was probably the way she had been sitting on it in the womb. She asked me how she was sitting in the womb at the end of the pregnancy. I told her that she was head down at my 28 week appointment and until she was born and that she never turned or really even flipped over after that.

I told her that she will only lay on her right side to nurse. She cries and cries if i try to feed her with her laying on her left side.

She asked if she could examine her, We said sure and she ran her little tool on her neck and said it Was pinched. She said that Abi has something called "Torticollis" and that we need to have her adjusted asap and that Torticollis is what causes some babies to have to wear helmets for skull deformities. She said that because it isn't sitting straight on her spine, gravity will make her bones shift.

I'm scared. I have no clue what to do or where to start looking for information. I feel horrible because i thought she was just quirky.

Should i take her to a chiropractor? To her doctor? Both? I need any help I can get please.
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 13, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I would see a chiropractor but for someone to diagnose Torticollis without xrays or detailed hstory worres me.  Yes torticollis is an issue that needs to be taken care of and theres therapies for it, no big deal.  I would speak to her ped about it, but a chiropractor is nice too

hapababies
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Torticollis can be resolved through regular and therpeutic stretching. You can get an early intervention evaluation done so that a physical or occupational therapist can teach you how to stretch and massage her neck muscles.
I'm sure a chiropractor would be helpful in getting her range of motion back. I'm just not 100% sure how to look for a pediatric chiropractor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roomfor1more
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Talk to your pediatrician about it.  My 3rd son had torticollis as a baby...his pedi diagnosed him with it & sent him to physical therapy which helped to stretch the muscles in his neck that were too tight.   It's pretty simple to treat and most babies actually like the stretches after a few treatments.

amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I had the same problem with my dd bring her to technicians she will be fine with a couple adjustments it's nothing bad most kid have this problem

GoodyBrook
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:11 AM

There's a post about torticollis in Breastfeeding Moms right now, too!

My first son was a bit crooked at birth, but the pediatric nurse said we'd wait until he was a year old, as most babe's grow out of it.  Sure enough, by a year it was gone, and now he's a "normal" 2 year old.

DS2 kinda leans to his right, but it's far less severe than his older brother, so we're not concerned at all...

How old is your daughter?

cuppycake91
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Talk to the pedi. My daughter had it and the dr. showed us ways to stretch and massage her neck to fix it.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I would take your LO to a chiro and a pediatrician. I would also look into craniosacral therapy.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I *think* chiros can do craniosacral therapy. But I'm not exactly positive about that!

Proud2BWeird
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Chiropractic is definitely the way to go. Go to www.icpa4kids.org to find a pediatric chiropractor.
Proud2BWeird
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Yes, chiropractors can do craniosacral if they've been trained.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)