Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

where to give birth?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:19 AM
  • 16 Replies
I am 33 weeks pregnant and planning a home waterbirth. However i am not sure whether to give birth in the shower,bathtub or to get a birthtub? Anyone have any opinions or experience with one or the other?
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lynette
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:12 AM
For me birthing pool. Water needs to be deep enough to submerge my belly to ease the pressure on back. I had mine set up into bedroom.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I've never done either, but I think I'd be afraid to give birth on a slippery floor, like in a shower or bath tub. Birthing tubs sound like the most comfortable option.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:25 AM
Set up a birth tub and if you decide against it thats ok :)
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:27 AM
A pool. I used a $30 pool off Amazon and it was big, deep, and had an inflatable floor. I however gave birth on my bed and only labored in the tub.
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:08 AM
Ive labored in the bathtub before and it was actually very uncomfortable no room to move to shallow. I would definetly recommend an actual tub that will be designated for labor/birth. If you use it great if not thats ok to :)
TippyD
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM

i am going to ask our midwife this when she does our home visit:) We have a garden tub but I am not sure if it will be deep enough.. we will see as I get bigger if I can submerge my belly enough:) also I have a friend who really wanted a waterbirth.. when she was in labor, she HATED the water.. both her babies ended up being born on land:) 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I am giving birth in a birthtub in the nursery..or thats the plan

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I like to labor in the shower but I don't think it would work to give birth in a regular bathtub - not deep enough and not enough space to move, unless you have a jacuzzi-type tub. So I would definitely go with a birthing tub/fishy pool type of thing.

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I planned to deliver my second baby standing in the shower (to contain the mess) but ended up doing it on the bathroom floor instead.

JMmama
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:13 PM
I would be afraid of slipping in the shower.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)