Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Post partum posture?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM
  • 9 Replies
My muscles a everything still feels sore, but I'm noticing myself hunched over a lot. I know it's from my intense pushing and birth, but are there any tricks or thins I can do to help keep myself upright? I feel like I'm turning into the hunchback of Notre dame
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Are you near a pool? I find swimming to be awesome for my posture--at least freestyle.  Plus, it's hard to hunch over in a pool--you might drown!

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Part of the posture thing comes from breastfeeding and always looking down at your babe.  Have you though of a post partum chiro adjustment?

nikzup03
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM
I have, I just didn't know when I should go since I'm still healing, I keep imagining tearing those stitches! Lol. But my neck and upper back could really benefit from it.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Part of the posture thing comes from breastfeeding and always looking down at your babe.  Have you though of a post partum chiro adjustment?

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Try belly binding for the first couple weeks postpartum. It's from the diastasis muscle separating during pregnancy and it'll get better over the first few months as that muscle heals back together. You can try planks when you feel up to it to help it heal faster and stronger, but don't do crunches because that pulls the muscle apart again.

graycalico
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:35 PM
I felt that way and I had a section. It went away as I felt better and was able to start taking walks.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:42 PM
When you find some time, lay on your back on the floor with a pillow under your knees and your nose pointed to the ceiling. This puts your spine in alignment. If it hurts, you need it, and try to sit through it.
If that feels good, roll up a towel and put it across your back just under your shoulder blades and put your arms out to the side. This additionally opens your chest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikzup03
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Oh yeah. It hurts just to lay on the floor. I feel like an old person. Lol it's killing my hips and t knees are still bent. When would it e good to seethe chiro? After my 6 week check up and see with doc? It's bad, I'm almost afraid to relax my hips while laying down.

Quoting jellyphish:When you find some time, lay on your back on the floor with a pillow under your knees and your nose pointed to the ceiling. This puts your spine in alignment. If it hurts, you need it, and try to sit through it.
If that feels good, roll up a towel and put it across your back just under your shoulder blades and put your arms out to the side. This additionally opens your chest.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Maybe wait to do this, then, until you're healed and your hips feel better. I don't know about when to see a chiro, I would guess the sooner the better, but your best bet would be to call your chiro and ask.

Quoting nikzup03:

Oh yeah. It hurts just to lay on the floor. I feel like an old person. Lol it's killing my hips and t knees are still bent. When would it e good to seethe chiro? After my 6 week check up and see with doc? It's bad, I'm almost afraid to relax my hips while laying down.

Quoting jellyphish:When you find some time, lay on your back on the floor with a pillow under your knees and your nose pointed to the ceiling. This puts your spine in alignment. If it hurts, you need it, and try to sit through it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeFit-Mom
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Pregnancy increases both the lower back curve, and the upper back curve.

Start postpartum core rehab exercises which will realign your spine, and develop a foundition of core strength and stability. For an award winning DVD on this subject, Google my screen name.

BeFit-Mom

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)