Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What do you eat in your family?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM
  • 39 Replies

I found out I had to eat gluten free a few years ago so I just cook gluten free across the board to make it easier (they eat gluten outside the home). We eat fastfood occasionally but sparingly. I avoid processed foods and fix mostly homemade food (I have to anyway because of the gluten thing), and I try to avoid MSG and other unrecognizeable ingredients. I have a rule at my house that a serving of fresh fruit or veggies has to be consumed with every meal and snack. My kids really seem to like the fresh fruits and veggies so it works well in my home. My oldest really gets into it when I talk about healthy diet, lol. She always points out, I'm eating yummy grapes because they're healthy!

My only vice is soda. I have these dreams of giving it up but then reality kicks in and it tastes so good! I drink maybe one 8oz can a day and give the kiddos a couple sips.

I have dreams of going vegan, but it's tough. Especially when you're also gluten free.

What about you? What do you eat at your house?

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM

We eat anything and everything, no fod allergies or issues here so..

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM
The girls and I are vegan. I also avoid MSG, artificial colors/Flavors, HFCS. I avoid gluten but am not gluten free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Indiemom880
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:25 PM

The artificial color thing annoys me. There is no reason for it to be in food. It stains my kids clothes and it's just not necessary!

Quoting jellyphish:

The girls and I are vegan. I also avoid MSG, artificial colors/Flavors, HFCS. I avoid gluten but am not gluten free.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM

We eat anything and everything also.  I try to limit the fast food and offer lots of fruits and vegtables for snacks.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:31 PM
My favorite is dyes in dried fruit. Why does fruit need to be colored?! Seriously!

Quoting Indiemom880:

The artificial color thing annoys me. There is no reason for it to be in food. It stains my kids clothes and it's just not necessary!

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I have celiacs and am lactose intolerant. My dd has a soy allergy, dye allergy, and is gluten intolerant. Ds has an egg allergy and is lactose intolerant. So we avoid those foods. We eat clean and organic.

housewifehell
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM

We eat "clean" no chemicals no artificial stuff no hormones, grass fed beef, non GMO. It was challenging at first but after  i got used to shopping this way it became second nature and now my toddlers love it and when ever a commercial comes on TV about food they say "NO thats yucky we dont eat that" . If I dont cook it we dont eat it.

Indiemom880
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Wow, I've never noticed that one! I don't eat a ton of dried fruit, but I'll have to look next time I'm at the store.

Quoting jellyphish:

My favorite is dyes in dried fruit. Why does fruit need to be colored?! Seriously!

Quoting Indiemom880:

Quoting jellyphish:

larissalarie
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
We've been vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, and gluten free at times over the years.
Currently I'm gluten free due to having celiac disease, so the household eats less gluten but I don't force then to be gluten free with me.
We eat a diet mainly consisting of real food: fresh fruits & veggies, nuts, and beans are staples. But we eat a little of everything in moderation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maddiesmommy5
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I eat mainly fruits, veggies, and nuts...all raw nothing cooked(80-10-10) although I do on occasion eat a cage free egg and I drink coffee sometimes. DD chooses to be a vegetarian as she doesn't like meat but SO is a meat and potatoes kinda guy. We grow most of our own food and SO's meat comes from a friend/neighbors organic farm. We eat extremely clean:) no preservatives, and all organic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN