Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Best snacks for labor + essential oil/natural pain management help

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM
  • 30 Replies
I am 36 weeks today and I have already had one successful natural VBA2C. I am doing another natural birth (in a hospital but with a great OB). My first was a very long labor and I was not allowed to eat.. only given clear liquids. At the end I wound up with an IV and I was exhausted from so long w/o anything to eat. That being said what are some of the best snacks for labor that worked for you? I am also interested if any of you have used essential oils or other natural things (other than positions, showers, etc) to help with pain management during labor. I did not know much about them with my last. If so what did you use and when?

CafeMom Tickers

Kristen - happily married to Xander and mom to A (9/25/09 9.9lbs), Z (9/27/10 8.13 lbs and has craniosynostosis), and S (11/8/11 9.15lbs and Successful natural VBA2C!) 

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I wanted foods easy and filling, so I had hummus and crackers, fruit, granola bars on hand and coconut water and rrl tea.
Clary sage is fantastic for labor. But do NOT go near it until you're in labor, it WILL cause contractions. Have someone else (when you are out of the house all day) make a blend with lavender and clary sage in. A carrier to massage on your back and feet while in labor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM
My midwife wanted me to eat. I wasn't able to eat much. Once hard labor hit she had me drink water and sweet tea.
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I used essential oils.  lavender while laboring most of the way and then some mint for energy while pushing.

kspear0120
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:55 PM
how did you use the mint? just apply it where?

Quoting Sarah725:

I used essential oils.  lavender while laboring most of the way and then some mint for energy while pushing.

kspear0120
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Clary sage is new to me so do it with coconut oil maybe? and does the smell also cause contractions?

as far as the snacks I'm worried about packing things that will spoil. how did you do the hummus?

Quoting jellyphish:

I wanted foods easy and filling, so I had hummus and crackers, fruit, granola bars on hand and coconut water and rrl tea.

Clary sage is fantastic for labor. But do NOT go near it until you're in labor, it WILL cause contractions. Have someone else (when you are out of the house all day) make a blend with lavender and clary sage in. A carrier to massage on your back and feet while in labor.
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

My doula put in on a wash cloth and I had it on my forehead or the back of my neck I think.

Quoting kspear0120:

how did you use the mint? just apply it where?

Quoting Sarah725:

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Yes! Do not go near cs! I had hubs make it in another room, and when he came out and closed the door, that little whiff caused contractions, I had to leave the house until it cleared!
Yes, co is great.

Hummus won't spoil over the course of a few hours. If you're worried about it you can bring a small cooler.

Quoting kspear0120:

Clary sage is new to me so do it with coconut oil maybe? and does the smell also cause contractions?

as far as the snacks I'm worried about packing things that will spoil. how did you do the hummus?

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Lavender oil :)
lulu_tattoos
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I packed almonds in my labor bag. 

littlelambe2
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this
With my first, I ate a pb sandwich on whole wheat and drank a glass of milk before going to the hospital. Baby was born 4 hrs later. With my second, I ate a homemade protein bar before going in. Baby was born, again, 4 hrs after arrival. But I had been up for 24 hrs and wasn't feeling very strong so I nibbled on apples, cheese, and crackers while in labor. None of that tasted very good, but I just ate a little to try and keep my strength up. I didn't use any eo's while in labor. My doula put cold washcloths on the back of my neck during intense labor before transition, and that felt very good.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN