Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a TX OB drop you at 34 weeks? What are the laws there?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM
  • 12 Replies

A gal in another group is feeling her OB might drop her if she doesn't play nice and comply.  She's 34 weeks or so and she doesn't want to have continuous monitors.  She's VBACing, and the OB feels otherwise and has been threatening to drop her if she doesn't do everything that she says...

Is there a website that lists what OBs can and can't do according to the state they're in?  Can they REALLY drop a client so close to delivery in Texas?

PIOG

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this
bump
Id have found a different Dr as soon as he didn't play by MY rules. but thats just me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Quoting Jenn8604:

bump
Id have found a different Dr as soon as he didn't play by MY rules. but thats just me.

This is the only one who will work with their insurance.  She feels stuck... :(

Jenn8604
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:36 AM
ugh!
She should tell him I'll do an at home water birth and find a midwife.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting Jenn8604:

bump

This is the only one who will work with their insurance.  She feels stuck... :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ptitchou
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this
http://rightnow.texmed.org/ci/fattach/get/18682/

They'd need to provide her care for a reasonable amount of time so she can find an alternate. She could also request they give her recommendations on other care providers.

I was dropped at 37 weeks. I, unfortunately had to basically beg for them to take me back on since no one would continue care. I filed a complaint with the Board of Ethics.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM

bump

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Quoting Ptitchou:

They'd need to provide her care for a reasonable amount of time so she can find an alternate. She could also request they give her recommendations on other care providers.

I was dropped at 37 weeks. I, unfortunately had to basically beg for them to take me back on since no one would continue care. I filed a complaint with the Board of Ethics.

sm12
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I am no familiar with the state laws here especially since I don't use an OB GYN but firstly if I were her I would find another provider the moment I found the doctor was not supportive and threatening to end care.  I would call the TEXAS health department in Austin and speak to some there to get advice, she could even call a legal helpline one that offers free initial advice.  I would also call the health insurance and explain her situation and especially explain how threatened she feels by doctor which is causing a lot of unneeded stress for her and unborn baby.  Then request for a Clinical expection for another provider.  Basically this would be requesting coverage for another provider that is not in network with the health insurance company because of her current doctor's behaviour.  Personally I would not want to try to stay with her current doctor if he is not supportive and understanding of her needs.  She could also call the hospital and see what their rules and regulations are with regards to constant monitoring.  Lastly her insurance may not even cover a midwife at birth center but they just might cover a midwife at a hospital so check that option but more importantly call around to birthing centers and midwives that don't deliver in hospital. For one she will definitely get her vbac unless an issue arises but they will also work with her financially.  Good luck to your friend.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I can't believe you were dropped at 37 weeks, that's horrible.

Quoting Ptitchou:

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I dont know about there but here in Oregon the state law is if you have a month or less left before you edd they can not drop you and have to provide care and delivery. 

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:23 AM
I would hope not!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)