Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

stupid bassackward Texas towns

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:05 PM
  • 13 Replies
i normally love living in a smallish town, cities are too crowded for me

but this town is so backwards when it comes to labor and delivery

the only hospital in town has a no vbac rule, no matter what

the next town who delivers leaves it up to the individual doctor, without even knowing me or my history, they all said no

so now I'm going an hour and a half away to be seen and to deliver(I had to Google it,I thought it was more like 45- an hour)

this guy comes highly recommended...I hope he's good and has an open mind

I planned to basically walk in almost pushing originally, when the hospital was less than a minute away

this will change things somewhat, I'm hoping I can get family in that area to keep the kids for me when it's baby time, I'm also hoping I can maybe labor at their home since it will be closer
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RADmomma
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Good luck. I'm in rural Maine. It took us over an hour to get to the hospital in December with my youngest.
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Sounds like a good plan.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:25 PM

As a VBACer myself, I completely understand how difficult it is to find a provider.  I had a midwife 75 miles away, as the OBs don't accept VBACers due to an unofficial hospital ban.  (I ended up risking out of midwife care and driving 400 miles to a VBAC friendly hospital to have my LO... It sure would have been nice to be welcomed at the local hospital, though!)

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Good luck!
Naegore
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Where do you live? I am not even going to bother with a doctor if I can help it. Truthfully, I haven't checked for any vbac friendly in my area and there are a lot of hospitals and doctors around here. I already know of two midwives within 15 minutes of me who will assist me. I do not believe Texas is very vbac friendly and I wish it was. I love my state, but pregnancy and birth suck here. 

comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Stephenville, it's about halfway between ft worth and Abilene

Quoting Naegore:

Where do you live? I am not even going to bother with a doctor if I can help it. Truthfully, I haven't checked for any vbac friendly in my area and there are a lot of hospitals and doctors around here. I already know of two midwives within 15 minutes of me who will assist me. I do not believe Texas is very vbac friendly and I wish it was. I love my state, but pregnancy and birth suck here. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Good gracious..thats insane!

Brieshon
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Good luck! I think there is such a fear of litigation with what is PERCEIVED as a higher-risk procedure. It's so sad and frustrating!
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Im guessing no.midwives around?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)