Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Quitting smoking while nursing

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:57 PM
  • 45 Replies
There's a mom on fb who is nursing and quit smoking two days ago. She said she's not finding info on whether or not it's safe to quit while nursing. I'm concerned because she'll be detoxing.
Does anyone have any links I can share?

Off to google in the meantime
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Indiemom880
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I don't know that they've done research on this (and honestly, I'm not sure how one would do a search for this! What search terms are you using?)

I hear a lot of advice to quit smoking if you're pregnant but I've never heard any concerns from physicians about it being dangerous for the infant to go through detox. Oh gosh, i never thought about this, but the infant will go through withdrawal too. That's gotta be a rough time for the mom! Going through quitting smoking herself, but also taking care of a newborn who is going through quitting smoking as well!

Gut reaction, I'm going to say it's probably not a problem, but I have nothing to back this up. Definitely let me know what you find!

I'm curious, what inspired this woman to quit smoking now? Most women who are going to quit smoking do so in the early stages of pregnancy, not while they're nursing.

hapababies
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:47 PM
I have read in the bf group a few times that nursing a baby while smoking is still more beneficial than formula, so my guess would be that nursing while detoxing from nicotine would be more beneficial than formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM
The closest info I've found is to quit smoking before you start nursing. Not really info, more of a suggestion.

She and her hubs are trying to quit. She said she thinks her baby is going through withdraws and she was asking about that. And that really makes me wonder if its better to detox just so baby will kick the addiction sooner. I have no clue. Rock and a hard place indeed.

Quoting Indiemom880:

I don't know that they've done research on this (and honestly, I'm not sure how one would do a search for this! What search terms are you using?)

I hear a lot of advice to quit smoking if you're pregnant but I've never heard any concerns from physicians about it being dangerous for the infant to go through detox. Oh gosh, i never thought about this, but the infant will go through withdrawal too. That's gotta be a rough time for the mom! Going through quitting smoking herself, but also taking care of a newborn who is going through quitting smoking as well!

Gut reaction, I'm going to say it's probably not a problem, but I have nothing to back this up. Definitely let me know what you find!

I'm curious, what inspired this woman to quit smoking now? Most women who are going to quit smoking do so in the early stages of pregnancy, not while they're nursing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM
The question is not whether formula is better, but whether she should quit cold turkey or not while breastfeeding.

Quoting hapababies:

I have read in the bf group a few times that nursing a baby while smoking is still more beneficial than formula, so my guess would be that nursing while detoxing from nicotine would be more beneficial than formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I would think the second hand smoke would be more harmful than the cold turkey.

hapababies
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Ah, I see. That is an interesting conundrum. I would think that going cold turkey would best to decrease the amount of second or third hand smoke that is exposed to the baby.
But, I don't know if going cold turkey will make life miserable for the baby as the baby goes through withdrawal.

Quoting jellyphish:

The question is not whether formula is better, but whether she should quit cold turkey or not while breastfeeding.

Quoting hapababies:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Yeah. I just know quitting smoking detoxes a body a LOT, but I don't know how much or how that compares.
I just don't know.

Quoting hapababies:

Ah, I see. That is an interesting conundrum. I would think that going cold turkey would best to decrease the amount of second or third hand smoke that is exposed to the baby.

But, I don't know if going cold turkey will make life miserable for the baby as the baby goes through withdrawal.

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting hapababies:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:52 PM
No real info, but my guess would be in the long run it is better to go through the withdrawal/ detox than have exposure for a couple years?
cemcnair
by Courtney on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I'm leaning towards this. Maybe research negative effects of withdraw to see how dangerous those effects could be?

Quoting Sarah725:

I would think the second hand smoke would be more harmful than the cold turkey.

Indiemom880
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Besides being majorly uncomfortable, I don't think there is any physical harm that the baby is facing by going cold turkey. The only cold turkey detox that is potentially dangerous is alcohol. It's more just an issue of feeling like major crapola to quit smoking cold turkey.

How old is this baby?

Quoting jellyphish:

The closest info I've found is to quit smoking before you start nursing. Not really info, more of a suggestion.

She and her hubs are trying to quit. She said she thinks her baby is going through withdraws and she was asking about that. And that really makes me wonder if its better to detox just so baby will kick the addiction sooner. I have no clue. Rock and a hard place indeed.

Quoting Indiemom880:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)