Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Co-Sleeping LO#1 after LO#2 arrives ?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM
  • 11 Replies

Just curious to hear others' experiences if your family continued to co-sleep an older baby/toddler/child following the arrival of the next sibling. 

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NightSky1701
by Angela on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi! I am facing this problem soon. My son is still co sleeping and his brother is due in November. (He will have just turned two). We are trying to figure out how to handle this! I think I am going to put our mattress on the floor with the twin mattress next to it and at least encourage him to sleep on the twin.

hapababies
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this
My son was 19 months old when his little brother was born. Luckily, he wanted to sleep in his own bed for the first few months. I share a room with both boys, so it was his decision to sleep there.
When he did come and join us, I tried to make sure that I was between the both of them.
I will admit that I used a pack and play to put the littlest in, for my own sanity.
Now they are 2 and 3, and they still sleep on either side of me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I had two kids 17 months apart but my first of these two was so independent he didn't like co sleeping.  Which is good cause I can't get the other off of me.  He's my cuddle bug.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Well, I moved my daughter to her room. I started the process at about 7 months pregnant. It was harder for me than for her. After I felt safer with us all in bed I gave her the option of sleeping with us again because she asked. She does sometimes. She wants to tonight. :)
But she was also four years at birth, I know it may not be so easy if your older babe is much younger. How old? Is he able to sleep with SO in another bed maybe? Or can you put a mattress on the floor next to your bed? Or even put him in a bed inThe same room or sidecar?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:45 AM
My son was 20 months old when my daughter was born. I put him in a toddler bed in my room. The first night was hard but I let him come back to my bed. Then I tried again and would go to him if he woke up. He always knew I was there if he needed me so I think that helped. It was very hard for me but he did great. He has sleep problems due to autism so I couldn't have him in my bed at the same time as my daughter
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Using a sidecarred crib is a good option to put a newborn in and having the other kid on the other side of you or with so or hubby. I would have done that if I thought anyone would get any sleep LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meljac
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:46 AM
We sidecared newest little one and now that she is older we cosleep with both. They are about 18 months. We actually have a toddler bed next to our bed and sometimes both will sleep there.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM

bump

Sweetheart08
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM
we co sleep until.they are around a year old. but on and off they sleep by.themselves not.oyr choice but theirs, I think it more fun to sleep with their siblings then us.so about six month we put.the.baby in the bassinet and at night in our bed. we har four.kids and.one.on the way they tend to sleep with each.other in there beds :-)
Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM

We tried it, didn't work well for us. There just wasn't enough space and no one was sleeping well. If we have this kind of situation again we'll try to get the older child in his own space before the baby comes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN