Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Breast feeding in public. . . Is it really that big of a deal?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:40 AM
  • 33 Replies

Why are moms all over the world chastised for breast feeding in public? Has our culture really become that insecure that mothers can't even feed their children the way that they should? I wonder how offended someone would be if I asked them to "cover up" at a beach, or if I asked someone in a restaurant to go eat in the bathroom. I find it hard to believe that sex is everywhere we go, but breast feeding is treated like a taboo. Anyone else as irritated about this as I am?

~Jen~ Group Owner of Bringing Birth Home.    http://www.cafemom.com/group/116103                                                                                                              I am a breastfeeding, midwife using, cloth diapering, delayed cord cutting, natural birthing type of mama!

Pregnancy%20ticker
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicole4ray
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this
It drives me crazy! I see nothing wrong with feeding my baby wherever I am. I nurse in public all the time, without a cover.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't cover, never have.  Well, I kind of take that back, I put a Muslim (eta i meant muslin - stupid autocorrect) blanket over us at the beginning until I figured out how to latch quick.

i really think no one sees us.  I've never had a comment or stare, either positive or negative.  I don't make a big deal of it and neither does anyone else.

im a huge NIP supporter but don't like when women NIP looking for a fight.  There is no reason to be obnoxious about it because its not an obnoxious act.  

Oh, to add - the ONLY comment I've EVER gotten was from a very befuddled waiter when he saw me nursing dd then came back to the table and I was nursing another baby.  We explained that the other baby was adopted and I pumped for her but her momma forgot the nipples to the bottles so I was nursing.  He told me that was "super cool" and that was it : )

CocoaKisses70
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

No its not a big deal.I always find it funny how someone makes a huge deal out of nursing,I saw a woman weeks ago bounce right out of a swim top and it didnt seem to bother people one bit....but feeding a baby is an outrage. I was once asked if I could go feed my son in a bathroom by some waitress at Ihop,I asked her is she takes her lunch on the toilet and she said No, So I told her that my son wouldn't be taking his lunch there either and if she didnt get out of my face, that I would sue her personally and Ihop.

CafeMom Tickers

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:52 AM
I feel badly for those who are oppressed by it. I don't cover and won't and I'll feed my baby any place I want. I dare someone to say something because I am not going to be embarrassed, I will have fun educating the so sorely uneducated.
coupon_ash_back
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM
I'm for it and never gave two shits about the way others were responding to it. It's not like you could see anything anyway.
larissalarie
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:05 AM
1 mom liked this
No, this really only seems like a big deal on internet discussion forums and not in real life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Nope. Your breasts were made for feeding babies first and foremost.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lynette
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:24 AM
For the most part I only got flack when I used a cover. When I skipped that no one seems to realize what I am doing. And then the comments I got came from older women.
SadieJames
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Yup.  I was a nervous wreck the first few times I NIP because I had heard such horror stories.  Real life, not as dramatic.

Quoting larissalarie:

No, this really only seems like a big deal on internet discussion forums and not in real life.

maddiesmommy5
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Makes me so mad! When I had DD I was 19, We were at the beach and I was bfing I got so many dirty looks and one women had the nerve to tell me I had to cover up, then went off on a tangent about teen moms. I told her next time she ate lunch to go put a blanket over her head and see how enjoyable it was! AND I was more covered then half the people in their tiny bikinis and no one says anything about them. SMH 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN