Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Sunburn treatment in a 19 month old

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM
  • 10 Replies

I recently move to Florida from Missouri, and we made our first trip to the beach the day before yesterday. I use coconut oil as sunscreen for myself and my boys, it has natural spf and will help prevent burn as long as it is rubbed in all the way. It works great for me and my 4 year, but my 19 month old is so fair skinned and so sensitive to the sun that it didn't quite do the job for him. So he got burned, I put aloe on him as soon as we got home and again before bed, and by the next morning his burn was virtually healed over night, except for this one patch on his left arm because he slept on his arm that night and so it trapped the heat and as a result he woke up the next morning with a huge blister on that arm and a big red patch around it. I have been continuing to put aloe on it and it is slowly getting better, and I popped the blister which oozed liquid for a little while and then the skin peeled off of the blister, so now there is this circular patch of raw skin in the dead center of the burn. I will not be making the mistake of only using coconut oil for my youngest, and went ahead and picked up some Kiss My Face suncreen for him, but what else can I do to help his burn and blister heal? Last night after I put some more aloe gel on it I wrapped it in gauze to keep lint and stuff from getting in it and to keep it from rubbing on the sheets and aggravating it more. It doesn't seem to bother him much and the only time he seems to notice it is when I am cleaning it with a washcloth, and it looks a lot worse than it actually is. I am open to any suggestions though.

by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MorganTho
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Aloe with lavender maybe? Vinegar for me helps take the sting out. I make my own and find that coconut oil alone isn't strong enough. I use zinc oxide and Shea butter which also has SPF. Sandal wood and another EO have SPF. I forgot the name it starts with an H.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Hope it heals quickly!

hapababies
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:00 PM
I believe that carrot oil has a higher SPF than coconut oil.
As for healing, you can use unrefined, coconut oil to help the healing process. Also, raw honey and breast milk are great at healing wounds

I hope he feels better soon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lynette
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Breastmilk on the wound will speed healing
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Other then aloe I;m not sure what you can do.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Hope he feels better soon!

Fightclmembr
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM
I think coconut oil only has like an SPF of 4. Try badger baby sunscreen, it's safe! As for sun burn, I have no idea...I got sunburn a couple times as a child, but nothing more than redness, and I really don't burn now, though I do use SPF 4 or 8, but I put 15 or 30 on my kids and they've never burned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RADmomma
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM
I would put coconut oil on it.
illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Put a little ACV on a cloth and rub it on him. Then cover him in coconut oil.
PrincessGemini
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I have been putting aloe on it, put some breastmilk on it as well. It looks  lot better today, the blister is healing quite nicely nd the burn is more pink than red. Next time I will use sunscreen for him but will keep using the coconut oil for myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN