Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Clingy baby experience

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:30 PM
  • 18 Replies
My six week old ebf baby is stuck to me...and very sensitive. I'm just wondering if anyone else had a baby like this and how long this state lasted and if you have any tips for getting through it.

She sleeps at night, but is up all day minus a few 10 minute cat naps and happy moments where we get to coo at each other. She nurses almost non stop...all day...sometimes for hours at a time. I'm not super frustrated at all, just taking it one day at a time and trying to take each wonderful moment in. BUT I have had to go back to work (part time from home) and working on the computer for several hours is challenging. Not to mention any other tasks that just have to get done...I'm getting good at one-handing many tasks, but it's still a challenge.

Just wondering if anyone else had a baby like this and what kind of advice you have and how long this clingy stage lasted. :)
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:55 PM
My ds2 thrives on touch. He has since he was itty bitty, and he is now 2. It took me a while to figure that out, but once I realized he needed touch as much as food, water and air, I became more patient.
Wearing him has made both of us happy. He doesn't need as much wearing as he did when he was under a year old, but he still enjoys it. I was able to get most household stuff done and take care of his older brother while wearing him.
Do you have a baby carrier you could use?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:03 PM
The first three months is pretty much a string of growth spurts. Plus she just spent nine months inside your body, being held and rocked constantly is the only thing she knows. So much so that she doesn't even realize you and her are separate people.
Six weeks is a hard age for a baby. Have patience. Get help as much as you can. And just be there for whatever she needs. It will pass as she comes conscious of the world at her own pace.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maddiesmommy5
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I agree with them ^^^! When you go back to work put her in a baby carrier(I love ring slings for newbies) that way she will feel like she is still being held and you get both of your hands.

CafeMom Tickers
Aleewink
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:10 AM
I do have a carrier - ring sling and a Boba. I will admit that I am not great at baby wearing in the sling just yet, but I'm going to a baby wearing group on Saturday to get more advice. She's usually pretty open to being worn when we are out, but she is almost always feeding. So even if I have her in a carrier, I still need one hand to help support her while she is feeding... Are other people able to nurse in a carrier without needing to use one hand for support?
maddiesmommy5
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Quoting Aleewink:

I do have a carrier - ring sling and a Boba. I will admit that I am not great at baby wearing in the sling just yet, but I'm going to a baby wearing group on Saturday to get more advice. She's usually pretty open to being worn when we are out, but she is almost always feeding. So even if I have her in a carrier, I still need one hand to help support her while she is feeding... Are other people able to nurse in a carrier without needing to use one hand for support?

I did with DD, your LO is still so new you both will get the hang of it, no worries momma! I think a babywearing group is a great Idea. I know I really got a lot of help and great advice from other woman when I was a new mom:) It is much easier irl also they can be right there to help you. 

CafeMom Tickers
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM
My 2 yr old is still like that. I wore him a lot when he was little. Made life so much easier.
illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Sounds normal. Try using a baby carrier. It will give you hands free and your baby will be happy snuggling with you.
Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM

That sounds like normal behavior for a six week old. They're growing a ton and have so many things to learn and figure out about their world. She wants to be close to you because she knows she's safe there.

A baby carrier can help a lot, and you can expect nursing frequency to decrease gradually over the next several weeks as her digestive system continues to mature.

CelestialSong
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM

My daughter was super clingy as an infant. It lasted basically until she started walking and gained some confidence and became more independent... but she still seems clingier than the average toddler, although it's nothing like those first 6 months.

For your computer work, could you nurse her while you do that? I spent a lot of time at my laptop early on, with my daughter on a Boppy in my lap. She would nurse/nap for hours, and it's how I managed to finish school :)

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM

My kids were like that.  I find it helpful to wear then so you have your hands free and can get things done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN