Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are there any negatives to being induced?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:44 AM
  • 22 Replies

I'll take any opinions please.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Heymamashakeit
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM
You're tied to the bed most of the time.

You're constantly hooked up to monitors.

No option at all of an IV or not.

High csection rate.

Possibility of caving in and getting an epidural which raises your risk of csection again.

None of the methods (pitocin, cytotec, etc) are NOT FDA approved for induction.
RADmomma
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:05 AM
I agree with all of the above.

Plus being induced is sometimes a harder faster labor & that's harder in your body & baby.

The rush of a csection is much greater!
MacMamaof5
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Baby is usually not done "baking" and so his/her chances of being separated from you are greater.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
There are many negatives to baby, hard long unnatural.contractions can cause harm to baby, putting baby into fetal distress.
awesomemommy2
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM
I had to be induced with all three of mine. My water broke but I was not going into labor and that runs a large risk of infection and if not induced a c section would be necessary and not a maybe.

All three if my children were delivered vaginally. At no point in any of the the three labors were a c section brought up. I think that the reason for the induction is a big factor.

I have no non induced labor to compare to so as for pain and that stuff i cannot say. My longest labor was my first. Went in pitocin around noon and baby born at 10pm. Now jot contractions until around 5pm. Second got pit around noon and she was born 6pm and third got pit around 2pm and he was born 8:30pm.
Lynette
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Risk of csection goes up 50%. Pitocen induced contractions are much harder on baby and more painful for mom. Baby is more likely to suffer from jaundice, have feeding issues. Late preterm baby's have many risks.

When baby is fully ready, lungs done they release a hormone that starts labor. Not allowing for that increases risk for asthma and other breathing problems.

So much info at your fingertips on this, just google for it. Here is a link I want to share http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/induction-by-request.aspx
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:40 PM

What everyone else said..I had my labors augmented and still had most of the side effects

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM
I was induced with my first because my water broke and labor didn't start. However, since then I have learned so much more. The risk of infection goes way up, but mainly because of the constant checking for dilation. Every single time anything is inserted in your vagina, the risk goes up. I know women who had their water break and didn't go into labor for one and even two days . As long as baby is fine, there are n ointernal checks, and no signs of infection ,you CaN wait!

I was induced with three and had three with no drugs. Being induced is different for every woman . For me, it was the most excruciating, painful experience of my life. I felt like I was being torn apart. There was no relief fro mthe pain even after my son was born. Because of that ,I vowed to get an epidural if induced again (first time was pain med free). Second time the epidural was not done properly, but it did help. Recovery was better, but still slow. Third time, epidural worked, and I HATED it. Couldn't feel a thing.

Next three were drug free and great! The pain was manageable, labor was faster, recovery was muc hfaster!!

Quoting awesomemommy2:

I had to be induced with all three of mine. My water broke but I was not going into labor and that runs a large risk of infection and if not induced a c section would be necessary and not a maybe.

All three if my children were delivered vaginally. At no point in any of the the three labors were a c section brought up. I think that the reason for the induction is a big factor.

I have no non induced labor to compare to so as for pain and that stuff i cannot say. My longest labor was my first. Went in pitocin around noon and baby born at 10pm. Now jot contractions until around 5pm. Second got pit around noon and she was born 6pm and third got pit around 2pm and he was born 8:30pm.
justme00
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM
I have been induced four time and never had any trouble.
LLisaA
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I was induced, it was a long process and it was a difficult labor (my son kept turning), but I would do it again in a second.  I was induced a week early and had a healthy baby boy.  My reason for being induced was that my baby was measuring big and my fluid was low.  I wouldn't say anyone should elect to have it done without a reason, but I had no problems with it at all and I liked how everything was ready for me when I got to the hospital and my OB was available because it was scheduled, I've heard of people having to be delivered by a different doctor, or of not having a chance to get pain medications before the baby comes, there are advantages to knowing exactly when you're going to start labor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)