Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding while pregnant..

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM
  • 17 Replies

I just found out that I am expecting baby #5 and I am still breastfeeding my 13 month old daughter. I worked past the nipple soreness and am trying to breastfeed her until she self weans. Has anyone successfully breastfed through a pregnancy without any issues? I am noticing a huge drop in milk supply and that makes things a lot more difficult for me because she is getting frustrated with the lack of milk at times. Any tips?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Yes, i have nursed while pregnant three times. My first two are 20 months apart. Just keep nursing and give solids after, thats really all you can do.

Also see if you can.get the book "adventures in tandem nursing". It was so.helpful for me while nursing while.pregnant and tandem.nursing :)
tyrelsmom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:57 AM
I've tried twice and failed. The first time it wasn't nipple soreness, it was excruciating pain. I was 9 weeks when I just couldn't do it anymore.
The second time I managed to get past the nipple soreness but then my supply tanked in the second trimester and my daughter responded to that by biting and clamping down and pulling. She wouldn't stop and there was only so much of that I could take.
MaryJarrett
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep! I have! :) My oldest 2 are 19 months apart. They tandemed for 22 months. There is a facebook group of pregnant/tandem nursing moms that's really active if you're interested/have a facebook. :) 

tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I have now BF through 2 pregnancies no problem..I am 39 weeks with my 5th and nursed all the way through with my 4th.

Drops in supply can not be helped, eventually it will turn to colostrum and she will get that and could be happier...my guys were.  Nurse nurse nurse stay hydrated and thats all you can do

SAHM927
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I am currently doing it. I am almost 25 weeks pregnant, and DD is almost 2.5. It hasnt been easy between the nipple soreness, and I have pretty much dried up at this point. But she still tries at nap time, and bed time. I have been struggling with my own nursing aversions so I try to keep myself occupied when she nurses because it can be really tough. If you are determined to do it, don't let anything stop you! 

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I did it. It was hard but my DS wasn't ready to wean. My nipple soreness came and went and by the third trimester I was cutting nursing sessions really short because it made me feel agitated. But a lot of moms find it easier than I did and really enjoy it.

Milk supply dropping is normal from the hormonal changes and eventually you'll have colostrum. You can keep dry nursing if you're interested - some toddlers with wean and others won't.

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM

This is a great book!

Quoting Precious333:

Yes, i have nursed while pregnant three times. My first two are 20 months apart. Just keep nursing and give solids after, thats really all you can do.

Also see if you can.get the book "adventures in tandem nursing". It was so.helpful for me while nursing while.pregnant and tandem.nursing :)

Sarah725
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM

you could try some Fenugreek to boost your supply.  I've known a few people who breastfed while pregnant.  Congrats and Good Luck!!

larissalarie
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Noooooooo!!!!! Fenugreek isn't ok for a pregnant mama.

The supply drop from pregnancy is due to the hormones needed to maintain a healthy pregnancy, not exactly something you want to fight. There's a tea called more milk too or something like that that's ok, but you'd better make sure which one is ok first since the others contain fenugreek.

OP I've nursed in pregnancy twice now. Both times my supply went kaput in the second trimester. The first time it didn't stop kiddo from nursing one bit. This time kiddo has pretty much weaned due to it. Which is on par with the statistics that about 50% wean due to pregnancy.
All you can do is keep offering, the rest is up to baby! Congrats on nursing past a year & on the pregnancy!

Quoting Sarah725:

you could try some Fenugreek to boost your supply.  I've known a few people who breastfed while pregnant.  Congrats and Good Luck!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:54 PM

its a pill by motherlove and its safe to take..lok up motherlove and you can find who locally sells it if interested

Quoting larissalarie:

Noooooooo!!!!! Fenugreek isn't ok for a pregnant mama.

The supply drop from pregnancy is due to the hormones needed to maintain a healthy pregnancy, not exactly something you want to fight. There's a tea called more milk too or something like that that's ok, but you'd better make sure which one is ok first since the others contain fenugreek.

OP I've nursed in pregnancy twice now. Both times my supply went kaput in the second trimester. The first time it didn't stop kiddo from nursing one bit. This time kiddo has pretty much weaned due to it. Which is on par with the statistics that about 50% wean due to pregnancy.
All you can do is keep offering, the rest is up to baby! Congrats on nursing past a year & on the pregnancy!

Quoting Sarah725:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)