Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

free range eggs

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM
  • 24 Replies

I've been trying to find a source of free range eggs without hormones, antibiotics, and soy or corn feed. So far no success. I asked some 4-H families while we were at the county fair and they looked at me like I had two heads when I told them I wanted eggs without corn or soy feed. They said you have to feed them *some* corn. I wanted to ask what chickens ate before corn was mass produced but didn't. lol.

So now I'm wondering, do you buy eggs from a farm that are completely free range and free-fed without soy and corn? Or is this impossible because the chickens will eat off the whole bug population unless they have a VERY large space to roam in?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rachelrothchild
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I was buying from someone who raised them that way, but she fell off the face of the earth and stopped replying to my e-mails :/

May-mom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Following because I'd like to know this as well
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this
There are cage free eggs whose chickens are fed organic food (ie non gmo) at sprouts. I don't know about corn free, but I've seen soy free at whole foods.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Well that's not fair :(

Quoting rachelrothchild:

I was buying from someone who raised them that way, but she fell off the face of the earth and stopped replying to my e-mails :/

Sarah725
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I haven't ever looked for that, I just pick up any at the store.  Hope you can find what you need.

amazzonia
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I get them from a farm, you should too they are the only ones I trust

rachelrothchild
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know what her problem is.  We even paid $25 to pick up raw dairy at a drop site, which we did a whole 2 times.  After we moved, I tried to figure out a new one that would work for us, and she hasn't said anything since (that was the end of May).  Too bad because she had great eggs.  My husband said they either bit off more than they can chew this year, or they don't know how to run a business.

Quoting Sarah725:

Well that's not fair :(

Quoting rachelrothchild:

larissalarie
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Around here you can pick up eggs like that at the farms that sell grass-fed raw milk. Probably other places too, but I know there for certain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM
We have local moms who raise chickens and theya re fee range and no corn because their LO are allergic to tons f stuff...its the only way to get them here
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Have you tried at farmers markets?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)